We're making good progress on unifying CO/UA, we've repainted 100 planes....

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by RichardInSF, May 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am I the only one who thinks the latest broadside by SMI/J is pretty pitiful if the best he can do is claim that repainting planes is his major achievement?

2. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

I never knew a status update on the merger should be taken as "life achievement"...

3. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Systemwide, the count is more like 500 airplanes in the new colors, including regional affiliates. 100 is just for the United subsidiary.

4. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Impressive IMHO

mht_flyer likes this.
  5. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am I the only one who thinks this is not an awesome topic?

Grace likes this.
  6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where did he say it was a "major achievement?"

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's one of things that is quite visible to all travelers who look out if the window, unlike other changes.

8. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You're right, he doesn't. I guess the major achievements so far would be the revenue enhancers, like the close-in award ticket fee and the further reduction in confirmable upgrade availability.

Travelsavant, Renard and karenkay like this.
  9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It sounds pretty agonizing for you to be on United Airlines; The "SMI/J" references clearly aren't working.

You should do what others have done: switch to another airline and/or change your avatar to something that shows your disdain for Jeff Smisek.

10. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    That may be, but you still took my pillow away from first class, Uncle Jeff :mad:

11. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Curious conclusion you reach based on so little information. I don't even know the guy, so how can I have disdain for him? Certainly there are actions taken by UA that I disagree with, and ultimately as CEO he is responsible, that's all. I did use "SMI/J" since that's what I recall as the standard way to refer to him on MP and FT; it's not derogatory but more a small inside joke based on how waitlists are posted.

12. Vulcan

Vulcan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was flying out of TPA the other day and saw a 'United' 747 taxi by. It looked like a brand new paint job, gleaming white with a LARGE CO globe on the tail. Then there was the low gold waist band, with grey (I think) below it.
    It looked like a giant whale.

13. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm basing it on several things, including your exaggeration of a "major achievement," plus a couple of other things. Including your comments made on FT about the migration to AA (the self-serving thing a different FT user started based on the speculation that Economy Plus was toast and the loss of a couple of CR-1s).

I have no problem with people not liking Jeff Smisek and/or his business model, that's perfectly fine. What does bother me is the consistent stream of jabs and sarcastic "here's another thing I like"-type comments.

What I don't get is that if the changes at United are so bad for people, then why don't they just leave? Why sit on a board and make snide comments or avatars with slashes through the face of a CEO? Reminds me of "thank you sir, may I have another."

As for the "SMI/J" references, it was funny a year ago, it's just gotten old. Plus, my sense of the context of which it is used nowadays, it's done in a borderline derogatory way, as if to get back at him.

I know this board (and FT's board) are supposed to be from all points of view, I get that. And it's good to hear the negative viewpoints to make objective decisions. But when there's a steady stream of criticism and disliking of something, when do you just say "it's time to move on?"

RichardInSF likes this.
  14. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The simple answer is that for the most part air travel is an oligopoly and choices are limited. Nonetheless, as frequent flyer points are devalued and as advance confirmable systemwide upgrades become less and less available, it is something I've begun.

For the first time in a decade or more, this year I won't make 1k. I am choosing my long-haul int'l flights, where my personal change is that I now pay Z fare and fly in business, based on the specific flight schedule and comfort level, not the carrier.

Domestically, switching is more challenging. The service across virtually all carriers and all classes of service is uniformly poor due to the limited number of competitors. The best route map tends to win. So UA, which hubs here in SFO, is keeping the significant majority of my much less profitable (and less frequent) domestic business.

sunseeker likes this.
  15. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    So true. Sad, isn't it.

RichardInSF likes this.