We're back!

Discussion in 'MileageBrain' started by MileageBrain, Feb 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Starting today, an all-new version of MileageBrain is available for beta testing at www.mileagebrain.com.

One thing you’ll notice right away: The new version requires you to create an account. This lays the groundwork for great new features that will allow you to personalize your MileageBrain experience, and helps us provide better support and troubleshooting as well. Your information is private to us, and us only. We won’t share your email address with anyone. Once we’ve had a chance to incorporate your feedback and solidify our product, the site will be moving to a paid model. This will ensure that the site can continue to operate, develop, and grow.

We learned A LOT from building the first two versions of MileageBrain. We started out just thinking about technology and design, but along the way found an awesome community of mileage enthusiasts who generously offered a lot of time and feedback to our site. Interacting with all of you has been the most rewarding aspect of working on MileageBrain, and the reason we decided to give it another shot. We’re thankful that you’ve joined us for this ride.

Hearing about the trips you found on MileageBrain in 2011 was great, but like a gas-guzzling tri-jet, the old version ultimately proved too expensive to operate and we had to park it in the desert. We went back to the drawing board to invent our Dreamliner - but (just like the real thing) it was harder than we thought and took longer than expected. It’s far from finished, but this is the platform we want to build on moving forward, and it’s time for first flight.

Thank you all for your patience and support. We’ll be on Twitter, MilePoint, and our blog looking for your questions and feedback.

Aloha-Rick likes this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm. It would be nice if the airport and airline fields were text fields and not drop down menus. They still work if you just start typing, but it is annoying.

I also dislike that I have to specify the exact dates of my outbound and return. I can understand why. You're searching a lot of combinations. But would it be possible to include a calendar search like ITA so I could specify what 30-day period I want to look at and how many nights I want to be away?

I'm still getting some ridiculous numbers, like SEA-SFO for 17.48 cpm on 4/7-8 (and that was all it returned).

skit53 likes this.
  3. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed w/ the text field and not drop down menues. Also, It seems like the airlines aren't even sorted in any meaningful way.

Other suggestions: city codes instead of airport codes (NYC = JFK, LGA, EWR) & alliance searches.

Sagy likes this.
  4. Sagy

Sagy Gold Member

Status Points:
    At this point the beta version is not useable since the airport and airline drop-down are not sorted.

It would be nice to give users the ability for some flexible dates as well as max dollar spent or max cents per mile

5. Biggles209
    Original Member

Biggles209 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seconded!

Sagy likes this.
  6. It's hard to make this work well (someone will always find something they can type that breaks it - you have to cover city name, airport names, IATA and ICAO codes) but it's definitely on the list. Thanks for trying out the brain!

Sounds like a great idea, thanks for the suggestion.

Sagy likes this.
  7. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about just making it like how ITA matrix does it? Just type any part of the full airport name / airport code and it'll show up.

8. cliq

cliq Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was trying to use the website today but I noticed that I couldnt get any result from KAJ, HEL or OUL using either SK, KF, AY or BE. Is the system still working?

9. sfaulk4

sfaulk4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is the site up or down? I tried entering a search but got nothing back. Top of page said "search is starting..." but no results.

10. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't think it is working. Without a sorted list of airports and airlines it isn't useful. I tried simply doing a search on the defaults and no results.

YULtide likes this.
  11. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any word on these boys?

12. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Their domain is up for sale. Looks like mileagebrain.com flopped!

anileze likes this.
  13. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup :) But the domain was/is to expire Dec 31,2013