We're all terror suspects now

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by JohnDeere19, Aug 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sitting in the expansive spaces of Renzo Piano's four-storey airport outside Osaka, sipping an Awake tea from Starbucks and waiting for my bus home. I've chosen to live in Japan for the past 20 years, and I know its rites as I know the way I need tea when feeling displaced, or to head for a righthand window seat as soon as I enter a bus. A small, round-faced Japanese man in his early 30s, accompanied by a tall and somewhat cadaverous man of the same age, approaches me.

"Excuse me," says the small, friendly seeming one; they look like newborn salarymen in their not-quite-perfect suits. "May I see your passport?"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/28/we-all-terror-suspects-now

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting article; thanks for sharing! :)

uggboy, jmrich1432 and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link!

uggboy, rwoman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. mynameismud
    Original Member

mynameismud Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

uggboy, rwoman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  5. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Japan portion of this topic has been discussed at some length by Ardou Debito, a westerner who has become a Japanese citizen and who writes about civil rights. Debito has pointed out that singling out foreigners is actually illegal under Japanese law, despite Japan not having signed most international civil rights conventions.

Many (most?) Japanese believe that the only people who commit crime in Japan are foreigners, ignoring that the only terrorist conspiracies there in the last 50 years (Aum Shinrikyo/Shoko Asahara and the red brigades) were entirely homegrown. There are important Japanese politicians, such as the current governor of Tokyo, that openly help perpetuate this view.

I've been stopped once at NRT just like Iyer was at KIX. It is not a good thing and since I am about as white-skinned as white-skinned can be without being albino, it clearly just isn't limited to dark-skinned westerners.

JohnDeere19, uggboy and jmrich1432 like this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow..very crazy...admitedly, I am not overly familiar with Japanese culture.

JohnDeere19 and uggboy like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    All in!:p

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting story, thanks...I spent the entire night at HND and wasn't once questioned by security or police.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm half Japanese and lived in Japan for 13 years. I return all the time (part of the reason I ended up on MP/FT, I wanted to find out what to do with my miles ;) ), but my brother and sister haven't been since they were kids. We all went back last fall.

Sure enough, my sister and I were just fine at the airport but my brother was stopped by police and questioned for a few minutes about what he was doing in Japan. My brother (even though he's half) looks 100% Japanese and even responded to many questions in Japanese. I think his US passport was a clue though.