Wells Fargo Propel World American Express® Card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by foxberg, May 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $3,000 in net purchases (purchases minus returns/credits) in the first 3 months

Upgraded travel
    • No foreign currency conversion fees2 (See Terms and Conditions (PDF)* for details)
    • Up to $100 per year in reimbursements toward incidental airline charges3
    • Complimentary room upgrades and more from the Luxury Hotel Program
    Accelerated earning
    • 3X points on Airlines, 2X points on Hotels, 1X point on all other net purchases (purchases minus returns/credits)4
    All this and more for a $0 Introductory Annual Fee for the first year, $175 for each year after that

https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/propelworld/

Newscience likes this.
  2. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    What can you do with the points besides gift cards? , I assume can not transfer to any airline or hotel program ---and can purchase airline tickets at a value of 1 point=$1 -- or maybe like Chase U.R. get a little better value than 1 point=$1---- in the end you get about $400-500 for air tickets on a 3k spend

3. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the end $500, even via gift cards, is good enough payoff for a 5 min application and a CC with no annual fee.

William JLP likes this.
  4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Im gonna apply for this card. I have the enhanced checking package (Wells Fargo has my mortgage) and I also have the Platinum credit card with them. Was going to cancel, but its 0 annual fee, and one of my older cards. Ill let you know what happens.

foxberg likes this.
  5. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should keep any old cards with no annual fees. Your credit score will like that.

vickers likes this.
  6. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea i applied for this yesterday, partly because I didn't want to load up on any more Citi or Chase cards, and this seems like a fine deal. Sure, it's not Chase UR or Amex rewards, but cash back is nice, and I know FT and MMS is reporting some good redemption for travel, and the 2 points back on various things makes this an above average card in my book, especially when it's not a Chase or Citi card :D.

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/...pel-cards-with-40000-point-500-sign-up-bonus/

7. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didnt get an automatic approval, and meant to call the reconsideration line but it slipped my mind. I logged into my Wells Fargo account this morning, and there it was. I opted for the Wells Fargo Propel 365 American Express® Card as I use my corporate credit card for travel. This card gets me the following benefits:

Accelerate your earning potential with the card that rewards your every day purchases.
    • 3X points at U.S. Gas Stations, 2X points at U.S. Restaurants, and 1X point on all other net purchases (purchases minus returns/credits).2
    • You will earn an annual bonus of 10%, 25% or 50% more on non-bonus rewards points if you maintain a qualifying consumer Wells Fargo Checking or Savings Account, or PMA® Package.4
    • Your points do not expire, and there is no cap on how much you can earn.

foxberg likes this.
  8. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Called today (after applying on Monday night). Called Tuesday and it was "pending." But today, i'm approved with a $8,000 limit. With that and the Chase Ink Bold 60k bonus, this concludes my May app-o-rama. Not too shabby.

9. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must have made them mad in a past life as AMEX has yet to approve me for credit. But with my Wells Fargo Propel 365 card, am I now an AMEX card holder? The back of the card says "This Card is issued by Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. pursuant to a license from American Express."

10. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    So here's a rich new development. I went to pay my bill for the first time this month. I don't have a WF bank account, so I set it up with my Ally account. The process of doing it is very strange (the pay balance button/link is kinda buried somewhere strange on the page).

anyways, I set it up and pay the bill in full, which isn't due till later in August. I get a notice that it will take "up to 30 days" to authorize my bank account. Basically, according to the WF customer service rep I talked to over secure message, I won't be able to pay with my ally account until 8/30/14. 1. that's past the Credit card's due date. 2. WHY DOES IT TAKE SO LONG. 3. So it's obvious they want you to set up a WF account to use this card. But this is downright ridiculous. 4. 8/30 is past the date of 3 months since opening by about 4 days, so i would miss the minimum spend bonus.

I sent a message back to try to get this resolved. This is absolutely nuts. And sure, I should have set up my bank account for payment/auto payment when I first got the card, but I didn't, because I didn't need to. Or thought I didn't need to!

11. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a wachovia bank account that went to WF. I had a recurring payment set for the 13th of the month on the 6th they took the money out, I called them and asked why did they do that. They replied the money is in our bank so therefor it is our money and we will send it out when we want not when you want. After 20 somewhat years with wachovia I try to close the account. I live in Maryland, and they told me I had to go to Georgia where my account was to close it. I got it closed, but after about three month's. Did not have to go to Georgia. Will never do business with WF.

William JLP likes this.
  12. William JLP

William JLP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which is one of several reasons they were called "Walk-over-you Bank."

Data point: I have a Wells Fargo credit card but no WF checking account, and had no problems paying them online from my checking account that was not WF. Haven't tried recently, because the 5% cash back stopped after six months and I haven't used the card again.

Boraxo likes this.
  13. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I predict a slew of cancellations when the AF comes due. Nobody is going to pay $175/yr for bupkus.

+1 I only use the WF visa for overdraft protection and for payment of mobile phone invoices (buried in the fine print is a free insurance product that covers mobile phone loss, damage or theft).

14. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    They also seem to take 1-3 payment periods for points to post. And that seems like a long time compared to the heavenly Chase UR.

15. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Data point: I got my 40,000 points a few days ago. So it took really only about 2 weeks.

That said, redemption for me is just gonna be checks mailed to me. I need to make some cash purchases (good craigslist deal :D) over the next few days, so can't really put them on the CC (they do offer immediate account balance redemption).

I had to literally add a $250, then $100 then $50, then $25 in seperate check outs, because that is what they required. Quite silly really.

I also forgot about the $100 accidental travel incident... i wonder if i could have bought united miles on that last week? Or paid my 9/11 fee? Or my London Departure Tax? Shoot.