Welcome to the circus: aircraft boarding is a microcosm of a broken industry

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jun 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

No one’s accusing America’s largest airlines of being shining beacons of efficiency and customer service. But in many ways, they seem to willfully shirk the natural, logical order of things in an active bid to make traveling as miserable as possible. It’s as if they’re constantly searching for that magical inflection point where price and frustration are equally maximized.

In case you can’t tell, I’m one of those frustrated travelers, sometimes on a weekly basis. And I’m not shocked that American, United, Delta, and US Airways have all gone bankrupt at some point in the past 15 years. It’s not entirely their fault — air travel was way off in the wake of September 11th — but their crippling inefficiency certainly hasn’t done them any favors.

Read More: http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/14/4...-boarding-is-a-microcosm-of-a-broken-industry
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Gee everybody who gets on a plane (or writes a blog) thinks they have the solution to the airlines' problems.:rolleyes:

a) So you think all the airlines in the world .. and there are very few who have made money in the history of air travel .....are losing money because of the boarding and bag check process.
    Why is Qantas broke? Why did Swiss (those renowned efficient guys) Sabena etc etc etc go belly up.?

b) Why single out US airlines? Have those super smart Europeans or Asians come up with better ideas?
    Seems to me the airlines that are many money now and then have been the one to charge higher fares
    while appealing to the snobbery of those who are prepared to shell out those big bucks..
    c) Has the writer ever taken a flight in say Spain or France or China were the boarding process ( more like rugby
    scrum) makes that which occurs in the US a walk in the park?
    c) How about the cost of fuel? our expert never mentions one word with regard to that.
    Is that in no way connected to the attempt to charges extra fees for seats and bags?

Basically the article is just another blog # 2 million and one with some cute catch phases but nothing of substance.

Finally the most amusing part and really an indication of the airlines' problems is their clientale as reflected in some the selfish and assinine posts as follow-up comments to the article. :)
  3. talkerfly

talkerfly Silver Member

I just got back from a trip to BKG (new airport in Branson, MO) on Southwest Airlines from DAL (Love Field, not DFW). Apparently the solution to avoiding bankruptcy is to eliminate seat assignments, drink carts blocking the aisle, and lazy flight attendants who won't do a beverage and snack service on a short flight. :)