Welcome to PVD (T.F. Green Airport)

Discussion in 'BOS/MHT/PVD | Boston Area Airports' started by Sean Colahan, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to T.F. Green Airport (PVD) I have tried to list airlines and services at PVD for your flying pleasure.

PVD website: www.pvdairport.com
    2000 Post Road
    Warwick, RI 02886
    (401)-691-2000

Airlines
    -Air Canada: (Dash-8) YYZ
    -Cape Air (Seasonal): (Cessna 402) MVY, ACK
    -Delta: (CRJ's, and MD-80's) ATL, DTW, MSP, RDU, & WAS
    -Southwest: (B737) BWI, MDW, PHL, LAS, BNA, MCO, PHX, TPA, & FLL
    -United: (Q400, E145, plus small mainline) EWR, CLT, ORD, & IAD
    -US Airways: (everything from Dash-8's, E170, and small mainline) CLT, LGA, PHL, & WAS

Parking
    -Garage A: $22/day
    -Garage B: $18/day
    -Garage C: $15/day, $60/week
    -Long Term E: $11/day, $55/week

Food Offerings
    -Starbucks (landside)
    -Federal Tavern Restaurant (landside)
    -Candy Hangar
    -Famous Famiglia (pizza/italian)
    -Quiznos
    -Johnny Rockets
    -Providence Oyster Bar
    -Dunkin' Donuts (2) - MR'ers fly on Dunkin!
    -TGI Fridays
    -Wolfgang Puck Express
    -Wolfgang Puck Kiosk

Rental Car Companies (Located in a new rental car facility in the same area as the intermodal MBTA train station/bus station.)
    -Advantage
    -Alamo
    -Avis
    -Budget
    -Dollar
    -Enterprise
    -Hertz
    -National
    Payless
    -Thrifty

Ground Transportation
    -MBTA Commuter Rail
    -Taxi's
    -Various Van and Shuttle Services
    -Peter Pan Bus Lines
    -RIPTA Bus Service

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._F._Green_Airport
    RI Tourism: http://www.visitrhodeisland.com/

dhammer53 likes this.
  2. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I LOVE flying out of PVD. It is 15 minutes from my house, security is always fast (hardily ever have the elite line open as the main line is never long), and lots of frequency (I fly US) so I can get to where I need to go easily. (I think the other carriers have good frequency out of PVD as well, DL even adding non-hub destinations with RDU). Wish they had a generic club lounge like MHT, but not a huge thing. Bright and friendly newly renovated terminal and well laid out for getting through the terminal for both departing and arriving flights.

3. edenri
    Original Member

edenri Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey a fellow pvd'er! I'm not a ff by any means, but have been deciding whether or not to go for status this year on US. Just curious on your opinions whether or not it is worth it flying out of pvd? I would only attain silver and my main goal would be upgrades. I really want to do it just for the fun of flying and the upgrades would make it much more comfortable. The miles in the end would also be great for some international travel.

On a side note have you found any good deals out of pvd lately?

4. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Edenri...great to have a fellow PVD'er around. I don't fly for work and do all my miles earning on my own dime for my own pleasure (hobby?) US offers a "trial preferred" program where they give you silver status for 90 days (for a small fee) and if you can take a certain number of flights or fly a certain amount of miles you get to keep it for the rest of the year. I did it last year, made the goal, and had silver for all of 2010 and then enved up earning gold for 2011. In terms of upgrades out of PVD, I have gotten upgraded on 90% of flights that I took which had a First Class cabin that either departed or arrived at PVD. If you fly through PHL than its a mix of E175 (very nice regional jets) and mainline, through CLT its all mainline. For connecting flights I was probably upgraded 60-70% of the time. I also like the fact that PVD has a elite member security line that they open when the security lines get long at PVD (which is rare). After having status for a year all I can say is that it is nice!!!

Any other questions, feel free to let me know and if I find any good deals out of PVD i will try and post them somewhere around here. Last year I was doing transcon MR's to SFO for pretty good prices. With SW operating heavily it helps the US prices stay competitive. I would suggest following SW fares to destinations departing from PVD and then check to see if US does a fare match.

5. edenri
    Original Member

edenri Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is very refreshing to hear. I too have no "need" to travel for work. Any that I do would/has been done on my dime. I really only need to take a couple flights a year for vacation, but would love to fill in the gaps with some runs. I'm really finding the thrill of getting there to be as fun as my destination. Hopefully soon I will just take the leap for my first true MR.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  6. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Join the club. Maybe we can organize a PVD US joint MR in the future. I have never done a MR with other MP'ers.

7. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the DL side, I have pulled off a number of MRs that have been based out of PVD--like last year's $200 r/t PVD-LAX.

And with that I love to have PVD as my jumping-off point for almost all of my work and personal related travel. The unfortunate part is that I miss the days of the SATA Express as it provided a quick, easy and inexpensive routing into Europe.

8. jemmazee
    Original Member

jemmazee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I travel about 20 weeks/year for work and I, too, love flying out of PVD. I always get asked by my co-workers: Why would you take a connecting flight out of PVD when you can just take a direct flight out of BOS? My response: I would much rather take a 10 minute ride to the airport and have a pilot "drive" me to PHL than have to drive myself the hour+ up 95 where I almost always get stuck in traffic so I feel like I have to give myself twice as long to get there.

I'm CP US by combining work and personal travel, but did my first MR out of PVD last year during the HSJ promo just in case I didn't make it on miles by the end of the year.

I agree that it is pretty easy to get an upgrade as Silver, especially if you fly during non-peak times. Probably about 25% of the time when I fly home to PVD on one of the later evening flights, first isn't even full.

BTW, check the TF Green website for parking coupons in Garage C. I usually take a cab because it ends up being cheaper than parking, but the deals usually get you closer to the Long Term rate.

9. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am with you on the Pilot driving rather than driving myself to BOS. Just discovered the Garage C web coupon and LOVE IT!!!

10. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot of people don't get the fact that BOS is an exceptional pain to get to, especially from South County.

Now, if only there was an air taxi service to PVD from places like Block Island

11. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be cool. I know they fly to Westerly and New Stonington from BLock Island, but I think thats it. Maybe a Cape Air flight?

12. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love Cape Air as it makes life so much easier to get around Northern New England. However, for the times that I go to Presque Isle, I usually pull a PVD-LGA-BOS-PQI, which takes less time than driving to BOS, clearing security then going BOS-PQI.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  13. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that is crazy (that those flights would take less time) and an absolutely cool MR. Nothing like 2000 miles one way to get from PVD to PQI. BTW...i love your handle name:)

14. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    And to think that last year, I managed to pull off a PVD-CLT-PHL-BOS-PQI--and the best part was that US paid for it as I used a voucher.

Thank you for the complement, as my handle is reference to my boat, which in certain circles is known as merely "The Boat" or "teh Boat" depending on the circle.

15. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice. Motor or Sail? My father-in-law has a motor boat and I am a sailor (but do not own a boat....yet)

16. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a motor, but a lot of times, I wish it was a sail boat as there are no such things as fuel bills and engine repairs that must be dealt with. And, it seems that The boat is spiteful as every time I return from a trip, it needs some more work done

17. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
  18. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is the Legal Seafoods location just opposite the airport entrance still there?

19. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
  20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOUNGE ACCESS FOR CASH

The last time I went through PVD (I think it was a late Sunday afternoon), one of the airline lounges in the wing with UA and AA had a big sign by the door offering access for a fee, with no membership being required. I think it might have been $25 for the US lounge, but I don't remember clearly. I would have done it but my flight was scheduled to depart pretty soon. I don't know whether this is SOP and I just never noticed it being advertised before or whether the lounge was particularly empty then. For lounge members, it didn't look very classy.

ADDED: As Sean Colahan has pointed out, this is incorrect. I was thinking of the lounge situation at BDL.

21. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are no lounges at PVD (Providence) airport for any airline...at least in the past 8 years.

The Boat likes this.
  22. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, I did hear that there may be plans for one in the future if the expansion for one goes through.

JetSet and Sean Colahan like this.
  23. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think a generic "business lounge" no associated with any airline could work at PVD. It def has enough flights a day with a decent amount of biz traffic that a daily/yearly membership pass could work.

The Boat likes this.
  24. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would be one of those who would be happy to pay for a generic lounge as a place to relax, especially upon arrival.

But would a prospective lounge be able to accept those who have memberships to the US Lounge, etc...

25. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Boat likes this.