Welcome to Melbourne

Discussion in 'Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific' started by straitman, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quoted from the Melbourne City Council web site.

Welcome to Melbourne

There is a lot to love about Melbourne - just ask the locals. This sophisticated world city in the south-east corner of mainland Australia inspires a deep passion in those who live here.

Melbourne is very much about lifestyle. It is no huge surprise to residents that their city has been ranked as one of the world’s most liveable cities.

Melburnians love the city's vibrant energy, restaurants, fashion boutiques, café-filled laneways, cool bars, unbeatable galleries, spacious parks and village-like inner suburbs, each with its own special character. Melbourne is less than 200 years old and never sits still. Modern, cutting-edge designs add to the fascinating mix of heritage architecture and ensure the skyline is constantly changing.

2. jpatokal
    Original Member

jpatokal Silver Member

Status Points:
    The flip side of that is that Melbourne is (IMHO) one of those places that aren't much fun unless you know a local who can take you around. From the point of view of a tourist with only a few days to spare, it's a poor cousin to Sydney's gorgeous setting, iconic sights and near-perfect weather.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ugh, no, too hot and sticky for this Brit-now-living-in-Wellington. And you don't need a local, you just need local knowledge. Like that crazy Shanghai dumpling place down the alley, or Dumpling Plus, or the rather-good-fun-for-two beanbag cinema, or the latest organic vegan granola wholefood lesbian rawfood cafe. ;)

snap likes this.
  4. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Without getting into a major comparison match I have to point out that Sydney statistically has more wet days PA than Melbourne.

Most of the rest of it is personal opinion and totally subjective.

5. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Melbourne (city area) would be better if it did not have someone on just about every street corner asking for cigarettes, money etc.
    Other than that I love the restaurants and the night life. I try to make an effort to fly there a few times a year for concerts and stage shows. [​IMG]

6. jpatokal
    Original Member

jpatokal Silver Member

Status Points:
    A true but misleading statistic. Basically, Melbourne is cloudy and drizzly much the time, with cooler winters and unpredictable summers, whereas Sydney is consistently sunnier and racks up its precipitation mostly through occasional heavy downpours.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/06/25/1151174072344.html
    http://www.gungahlinweather.com/articles/greatweatherdebate.htm

Oh really? So what are Melbourne's equivalents of the Sydney Harbour, the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge?

7. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a resident of another Antipodean smaller-yet-more-cultured city, I feel that you're placing too much emphasis on tourist traps and not enough on a liveable, commutable, walkable city with nightlife, history and unexpected quirks.

Chad and bluesky like this.
  8. Noelene
    Original Member

Noelene Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Yarra, Town Hall, and the Bolte Bridge? [​IMG]

bluesky likes this.
  9. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Docklands, Hamer Hall, Princes Bridge? [​IMG]

10. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wellington is my favourite NZ city, for just that reason!

Chad, kiwi and ThatJohn like this.
  11. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well to quote the great Paul Kelly:

Paul Kelly - St Kilda to Kings Cross

Princess Fiona likes this.
  12. tuapekastar
    Original Member

tuapekastar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Melbourne and Sydney are different cities (profound statement there [​IMG]) and we should celebrate their differences and appreciate each of them for what they are, rather than get into 'which is better' type discussions.

Cliches, yes, but Sydney is a brash and out-there tart (in the nicest possible way [​IMG]) with the Harbour, the Bridge, the Opera House and the attendant spectacular beaches and views, while Melbourne is a far more restrained and elegant lady, with the laneway culture (tiny tucked-away bars and cafes), art scene, sports precinct, Chapel St shops and the like.

Each has plenty to offer the visitor, and I'd say with their considerable differences in character, complement each other just nicely.

Written as a happily resident Melburnian who enjoys his all too rare visits to Sydney. [​IMG]

JetSet, cogentMD and Noelene like this.
  13. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    But it's an Internet forum! Surely that's the point! ;)

(Mac or PC?) :D

14. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really enjoyed the Immigration Museum. Sounds a bit dry, but taught me much about the history of Australia.

ThatJohn likes this.
  15. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    How does Sydney have more of anything than itself? :D

16. tuapekastar
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, point taken, I guess it livens things up a bit. :) (despite my even-handedness on te subject I've been known to have a dig at Sydney and it's residents when the mood takes me. [​IMG])

It's just a little sad sometimes when you can tell the blinkers are firmly affixed!

17. jpatokal
    Original Member

jpatokal Silver Member

Status Points:
    A nice sentiment, but a visitor to Australia has a limited amount of time and has to choose the best places to spend it in. Can you, in all honesty and good faith, suggest skipping Sydney in favour of Melbourne?

To continue to torture the politically incorrect metaphor, this is precisely why the tourist on a one-night-stand should have a fling with Sydney the amply-endowed flashy blonde, and not Melbourne the quiet intellectual brunette hiding in a corner -- even though, if you're looking for a long-term relationship, Melbourne is quite possibly the better choice.

Simply put, most of the things in Melbourne's favor are the kinds of things appreciated by people who actually live there: (comparatively) more affordable housing, more comprehensive public transport, less horrendous traffic, countless little quirky holes-in-the-wall that you can walk past a dozen times before noticing. But it's distinctly short on the kinds of things that make you go "whoah" the instant you first see them.

18. tuapekastar
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, and I wouldn't do that, no more than I would suggest skipping Melbourne in favour of Sydney. I'd put forward what I thought were the the positive factors about each and let the visitor decide based on their preferences. I suspect more would prefer Sydney because as I alluded to, it does have the 'whoah' factor you mention in your post, which Melbourne doesn't, but I'm happy for visitors to decide for themselves based on what they wish to see or do. Ideally they'd have time to see both. And of course there's a whole lot more to Oz than Sydney and Melbourne. [​IMG]

19. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's just the attitude of people from Sydney! [​IMG]

Interesting that it took another 11 posts before anyone noticed my slip up. [​IMG]

cogentMD likes this.
  20. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just thought you love Sydney that much, you'll even say it in a Melbourne thread... :p

21. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to get the local knowledge disbursed

What are some must see things in Melbourne if you have say three days?

My initial plan is the Grand Hyatt, still need to buy tickets from SYD, should I go JetStar or QF? there seems to be a decent price spread.

What can I see in Melbourne that I have no chance of seeing in Sydney

any good day trips outside of the city that a local might recommend?

22. jpatokal
    Original Member

jpatokal Silver Member

Status Points:
    The flight's an hour and a half, so unless you have status and plan on drinking the lounge dry, there's not much point to paying the premium for QF.

Yarra Valley and the Mornington Peninsula would be on the top of my list, and you'll want your own wheels to sensible tour either. Just remember wine sampling and driving don't mix too well...

The Great Ocean Road, while excellent, is a bit too far away to be a sensible single-day trip.

23. Noelene
    Original Member

Noelene Silver Member

Status Points:
    well it depends on time of year, your interests, etc, like any other big city
    theres always something happening. From now till end of September is football season, Horse Racing is huge in Melbourne, always a great day out, but Oct/Nov is Spring Carnival, some good racing, enormous crowds.
    Great theatre culture, tons of amazing restaurants, lane ways full of cafes. The Great Ocean Rd is awesome, howver you would have to check, following the huge rains we have had, sections have been closed.
    I never ecommend the penguins!

24. QF029
    Original Member

QF029 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want to tick off iconic scenes then Sydney has it all over Melbourne. Many people I know consider Sydney superficial. Melbourne is much more understated. It's more about living and feeling than seeing.

25. Bizi
    Original Member

Bizi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yarra Valley is definitely worth a visit if you have wheels and want a pleasant time driving through a wine region which is just outside the outermost suburbs, yet has someundulating charms.

My trick was to taste and then spit, then buy the stuff which stood out.
    Plus drinking plenty of water and taking plenty of time.

Healesville is a must visit in my book, if you're interested in the Yarra tour.