Welcome to Dallas/Fort Worth!!!

Discussion in 'DFW/DAL | Dallas Area Airports' started by techgirl, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As a local, I'm happy to welcome my fellow locals as well as help answer any questions I can.

2. Kelsey
    Original Member

Kelsey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I as well! Though I currently live in SAT, I grew up in Dallas and Collin County, went to school for a bit in Tarrant County and travel to DAL every couple weeks.

It's a great area, love it and miss it all the time!

3. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dont live in Dallas full time anymore,but I am in town at least two weekends a month and pass through DFW nearly weekly. Now if there are enough people from the area we might be able to start a montly get together. Anyone interested?

DesertRose likes this.
  4. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think a monthly get together would be great. We used to do them all the time but that was when the core group was all living in/near North Dallas. Two of us moved to Fort Worth, a couple folks moved away altogether, and we just had a hard time getting everyone together with everyone spread out so we stopped doing them about three years ago. [​IMG]

5. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    Checking in from the east side of the Metroplex...

6. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a question - how do Dallas-Ft. Worth area residents feel about the tourist/visitor interest in visiting the site of the JFK assasination, including Dealey Plaza and the Sixth Floor exhibit? As the years pass by, I've seen anecdotal writings stating that younger residents don't uderstand the continuing fascination with the 1963 events - is this a "sore" topic amongst residents?

As someone who was in elemenraty school when it happened, I think it was the seminal news event of my and my generation's lives (especially for U.S. residents), the way the attack on Pearl harbor was fro my parents' generation and the way 9-11 was/is for the younger generation(s).

7. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I don't feel one way or the other about it. The number of 'tourist' attractions in DFW is pretty low. I never know what to recommend when people ask, and I have lived here for more than 10 years. So, if someone is interested in visiting Dealey Plaza, I would say have fun.

How do people in DC feel about Ford's Theater? I guess as the trauma of the event fades, it becomes a point of historical interest.

Wurm likes this.
  8. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    l always tell people that if they visit D/FW, they will find that there is largely nothing of interest here, at least nothing that they would not find in their home town or country. The only thing that makes a trip to the area worthwhile is the friendliness of the locals and the consumption of copious amounts of chemicals.

9. yunicorner
    Original Member

yunicorner Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm working in Plano for the next 13 weeks. Any suggestions for places to visit/eat? I'm also interested in a meetup as long as it's during the week.

10. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm sure we could probably get a few of us together... do you have a car? We might need to do somewhere slightly more central as some of us live on the other side of the world, er Metroplex. DFW area (Irving/Grapevine, perhaps)? Plano is too far for me on a weeknight - and I know we couldn't get you to Fort Worth or Arlington likewise... too much traffic!

As far as places to go - I used to live closer to that corner of the world and always liked Jaspers and other restaurants in the open air shopping area up near Legacy. Central Market is a fantastic place for grabbing wonderful prepared food during the week (as well as grabbing groceries if you have any ability to store items where you are staying during the week... I buy my healthy snacks for traveling there!)

11. yunicorner
    Original Member

yunicorner Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually working right by the Legacy shopping area! I'll have to stop at Jaspers one night. I went to Cafe Express and Taco Diner this week and both were great. I do have a car and don't mind driving. I'm going to have to figure out some way to avoid the crazy amount of toll roads in the Plano area.

12. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is DFW the most expensive major city to fly to in the US?

Just booked BOS-DFW for the 20th, was $1030.11

I know ATLs a lot, but this even exceeded my last trips to ATL.

13. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been in Dallas every couple of weeks for the last 8 months now. I think I just found my new favorite hole-in-the-wall burger place: Burger House on Hillcrest near SMU. Ate there twice this week and loved it.

If you go, don't dress up.

:)

mht_flyer likes this.
  14. Open Fly
    Original Member

Open Fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can get a R/T web based fare on LUV (to DAL) for $500. Interestingly, their full fare also is $1000. Ouch!