Welcome to BOS (aka Bahston)!

Discussion in 'BOS/MHT/PVD | Boston Area Airports' started by JY1024, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JY1024
    Original Member

JY1024 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Drop by for a bowl of clam chowdah - it's wicked good! And don't worry about the supposed "accent." It's not that hahd to understand once you get used to it. [​IMG]

mht_flyer, FriendlySkies and goalie like this.
  2. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why BOS/MHT and not PVD? At least PVD has MBTA
    (sometimes) and RIPTA service, and MHT has squiddly.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  3. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    What "supposed" accent? [​IMG](goalie-mom (aka "Ma") always said President Kennedy always spoke propah English) and as we all know, there are only 25 lettahs in the alphabet [​IMG].

4. JY1024
    Original Member

JY1024 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wondered that, too. PVD would certainly make sense if MHT included!

Well, it crops up in odd little places, like "idear" and "drawring"...it's a sneaky little devil. [​IMG]

5. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pizzer...

Maybe even ORH will get a real commercial flight one day. Check out the website, ;)

7. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am with you. Give PVD some love! It's a fantastic airport.

Tkey likes this.
  8. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had some great times at the bar just past security.

It's been a couple years since I've been there (BOS is literally 10 mins from my home so there's no reason for me to go anywhere else), but PVD's been growing lately, no?

Sean Colahan likes this.
  9. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    PVD saw some flights leave during the economic downturn (AA downgraded service to RJ and eventually dropped service altogether and US dropped its PIT flights), but in the recent year and going forward US, UA, DL, and SW have all increased flight frequencies and DL even added non-hub flights to RDU.

10. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

baccarat_guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    For those with the Southern New Hampshire perspective.
    BOS/MHT (yes! 35 minutes and 25 minutes respectively); PVD, not so much. ;)

.....and a BIG HELLO to everyone!

11. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the unfortunates on the south shore don't have enough money to fly? :eek:

Anyhow, the issue was fixed.

12. BOS is too sprawled out for my taste. At least they fixed the E concourse somewhat, it was starting to look a little third-world before the remodel.

13. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Free wi-fi: click on the link that says something like "get free
    internet from one of our sponsors," then agree to watch an ad.
    If you don't actually want to watch an ad, there's a link down
    bottom that tells you to click if you don't see a video; this
    dumps you right into the Nomadix logged-in page. Saves a
    couple minutes.

14. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I miss the BOS flight attendant base for US. I love landing in BOS and having them announce: "US Airways is pleased to welcome you to Red Sox Nation. Please remain seated...."

Sean Colahan likes this.
  15. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    In case anyone was interested, here is a initial "plan" of how the gate switcheroo at BOS might look after the UA/CO and SW/AT mergers complete.

BOS Gate Changes

The TV News station I work at NECN (New England Cable News) did an interview with Massport CEO Tom Kinton during our CEO Corner show on the changes that will be taking place and the airline shuffle. Here is a link to the interview but the highlights are below. http://www.necn.com/pages/video?PID=...EekWOcNzyIiCe6

-Jet Blue goes from 100+ departures Summer 2011 to 140+ flights a day by Summer 2012. Both added frequency and new destinations.

-Combined security checkpoint for the two main piers at Terminal C (Currently occupied by Jet Blue and United) will be open June 2011. (No new gates with this project, but new concessions and shopping outlets behind security.)

A year from now its looking like musical gates will end up with the following outcome once all the dust settles.

-Terminal C two main piers will be all Jet Blue (plus the Cape Air gate)

-The new United will be over in Terminal E using what is now the Southwest (old NW) security checkpoint and gates (E1a and E1b) but will extend into Terminal C using some closed off gates (old terminal D) and into a gate or two which UA currently occupies (prob Gate C11 and C15). They would connect tis area all behind security (and therfor renovating the facilities.) Don't know what would happene with the United Club. (Maybe MassPort would build them a new one as concession for moving them around the airport.)

-Southwest/Airtran will relocate from Terminal E Gates E1a & E1b to where AirTran currently has gates in Terminal C (Gates 40, 41, and 42) and Terminal B next to AA. Gives SW ability to grow as they will add gates connecting C gates 41, 42, & 43 behind security over to the AA side of Terminal B. AA plans to give up some gates as they aren't planning on growing at all (and shrinking a bit).

-This will help get UA and SW out of the Terminal C check-in/drop off curb area leaving it all to Jet Blue as Unitied will check in at Terminal E and Southwest at Terminal B.

- I would assume with this that Virgin America's 2 gates at Terminal B will move over to where Continental would move out of Terminal A once they combine operations at BOS with UA as the CO gates (which hold 737's) would fit Virgin's A319/320's OR they would stay in Terminal B as AA gives up gates.

-Delta also wants more gates (which would take over CO's gates at A) giving DL entire reign over Terminal A. If MassPort ever put in a immigrations and customs at A (don't know if that is feasable now) SkyTeam could be under one roof. Wonder if Dl will open the Presidents Club at landside A as a Sky Club.

On a side note MassPort and the Govenor's office is courting El Al to put a non-stop BOS to Tel Aviv.

16. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

baccarat_guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recall visiting this as a SkyClub before it became a Presidents Club; so I'd say it's pretty possible that it will return to being a SkyClub.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  17. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For now, CO is still in Terminal A, and UA in C. How to solve?

There is a golf cart outside security between the two. You have
    to have someone call the driver, then you go up the escalator nearest the
    ticket counter and wait for the cart, which whizzes you through the
    parking garage. Saves maybe 5 minutes over walking.

18. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    :( Those E gates that NW used to use were such a dump, but I guess they are better where UA is now in C which feels like being in a bus station.

Disappointing that they can't do any better. Where CO is now is A Gates is the best real estate area in Logan -- and the P club is lovely.

Well now we'll be lucky to get the old NWA WorldClub that was in Logan -- and as I recall using it before NW move out, it wasn't very nice, dark and dingy. Then again, maybe a new United Club completely makes sense too...

Well I like seeing the word "renovating" though, maybe they'll make it nice.

On a side note, the link you provided goes over to a story on the Bruins.

19. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will try to get a good link. In think a new Unitec Club was the plan. Will be interesting to follow things at BOS over the next 12-18 months. At least the checkin at E is very nice, just need to get the gates on par.

20. Boston is pronounced Bawstin by Bostonians. Never ever ever has it ever been pronounced Bahston. “o” is never ever pronounced that way. I can’t for the life of me figure out how half the planet has adopted this Hollywoodized misnomer.

ACMM likes this.
  21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to milePoint ... shall endeavour to say Bawstin moving forward :D

mrredskin likes this.
  22. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newest info on "musical gates" at Logan.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/bost...7/airlines_change_terminals_at_logan_airport/

Call it the airport shuffle.

Tweet Be the first to Tweet this!
    Yahoo! BuzzShareThis
    As Southwest takes over AirTran, United and Continental merge, JetBlue expands in Boston, and American shrinks operations here, Logan International Airport is embarking on a massive juggling act.

Airlines will shift into new terminals and gates. Terminal directories will be updated. Passenger waiting areas will be remodeled. It’s the type of upheaval that airports around the country have been facing in recent years as airlines consolidate and reposition flights to shore up profits.

“The scale of the change has been rather significant and verging on the unprecedented,’’ said Chris Oswald, vice president of safety and technical operations at Airports Council International-North America.

At Logan, the reconfiguring starts Tuesday night, when AirTran Airways moves from Terminal C to Terminal E, where it will be positioned alongside its new owner, Southwest Airlines. Wednesday morning, after workers move podiums and ground equipment and adjust roadway signs and terminal directories, AirTran will be open for business in its new location.

“If you’re leaving on [Oct.] the 31st and coming back on [Nov.] 2d, you may not recognize where you are,’’ said Pete Houghton, senior director of properties for Southwest, adding that passengers will be notified about the change.

Southwest and AirTran will have five gates combined in Terminal E, one less than they operate now as Southwest prepares to drop its Philadelphia-Boston service in February. The airline, citing high fuel costs, is also axing its Philadelphia service out of Providence and Manchester in January.

JetBlue Airways, which has become the biggest carrier at Logan and continues to expand, will take over AirTran’s ticket counter and three gates in Terminal C. Over the next two weeks, the carrier will install new podiums, carpet, ceiling tiles, lighting, and signs; adjust jet bridge passageways from the terminal to the plane to accommodate JetBlue’s planes; and wire phones, computer systems, and public address systems.

On Nov. 16, Spirit Airlines is moving from the east side of Terminal B, where American Airlines operates, to the west side to have US Airways take over its ground operations - including fueling, baggage, cleaning, and ticketing. American Eagle, which is ceasing operations at Logan Nov. 17, currently provides those services for Spirit.

With American Eagle leaving and its parent company American Airlines cutting flights out of Boston, 20,000 square feet will be free in Terminal B. Massachusetts Port Authority officials plan to incorporate this space into a more than $40 million expansion to accommodate a larger United Airlines, which is merging with Continental Airlines.

United is now in Terminal C, and Continental in Terminal A. The project is scheduled for completion in 2013.

Moving United out of Terminal C will solve another dilemma for Logan officials, who may soon have to find more room for JetBlue, which plans to increase its daily flights out of Boston to 150 from 100 by 2015. If all goes as planned, JetBlue will take over almost all of Terminal C, save for Cape Air’s single gate.

“This is a puzzle. It’s really an orchestration,’’ said Edward Freni, director of aviation for the Massachusetts Port Authority, which operates Logan.

Flights out of Boston are spread fairly evenly among several carriers, so when they adjust service, Logan generally has fewer complications than hub airports, where one or two airlines dominate.

Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, for example, lost half its passengers between 2007 and 2010 due to the recession and the merger of Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines. As a result, the airport closed one of its terminals and plans to mothball another next year.

Mergers may not trigger this kind of rapid passenger decline at Logan, but an event such as 9/11 can, and Massport officials keep that in mind as they undertake renovations and expansions.

Logan’s steady increase in passengers - expected to hit a record 29 million this year - has supported airport improvements, but Massport officialsexpect passengergrowth to level off if airlines continue raising prices and cutting flights.

“We walk a fine line when we do this planning,’’ Freni said. “You don’t want to build something and find it a ghost town.’’

Katie Johnston can be reached at kjohnston@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @ktkjohnston.

© Copyright 2011 Globe Newspaper Company.

23. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    alright, flying here for the first time as a destination and not a connection next week on DL. any lanes/checkpoints to try for or do all have the nude-o-scopes? elite and trusted traveler (altho that's worth nothing there at the moment, i know)

24. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Using the elite lane has both the x-ray (to the left) and the NoS (to the right) after the ID check...the elite lane can vary, but my experiences have been pretty goodl

Sean Colahan and mrredskin like this.
  25. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    so TWO elite lanes or do the next drones direct you to either lane? any tricks or tips to heed towards the left?

Sean Colahan likes this.