Welcome ... and thanks.

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Randy Petersen, Feb 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    You have no idea how special your presence is to me. When I was approached just about three weeks ago to help a few fellow frequent flyers start a travel community, it quickly changed to them wanting to help me start one. As you might know, I did—and one that i remain and always will be very proud of, FlyerTalk. But along that journey, I realized that much had changed since 1995 and even the re-birth of FlyerTalk in 1998. Technologies had changed. Best practices had been discovered and even my own decisions were learned from. So, with my own experiences and a team of just great employees, we switched from building a website about frequent flyer credit cards and financial topics, to building one for all topics dear to the frequent flyer.

Since I know a fair amount about how building a community of shared interest travelers, my immediate attention was to source and create the right technology. I've seen the frustration of members when technology doesn't work right. It doesn't help the newbie find answers and it interrupts the love of the community. Well, I think I did well. You'll find something not yet seen in travel communities and while we're only about 30% along the way for what we are trying to create, I think once you begin to use the tools we have for you, you'll want to stay online with us. But, remembering that we're only three weeks into this, there's certainly things that don't operate correctly yet. and if all goes well, with your help I've got as month to iron things out, though i do hope our efforts lead to a very small bug report list.

Back to my fellow frequent flyers. When they talked me into starting another travel community, they told me one thing, something that I listened very carefully to. They wanted to help build a lasting culture of friendliness among the community members. I know that desire well and had become building an Ambassador program on FlyerTalk with that same goal. So, here's a tip to FlyerTalk, we're going to borrow that goal here on MilePoint and work daily at it.

And in one of my last conversations with the group of fellow frequent flyers, they asked how they could help and while I like the idea of being quite independent and trying to do things on my own, with hat in hand, I asked if they could help me build great content before I open my doors. They are busy guys and I was hoping for maybe a few minutes of their free time for at least have 5 or 6 threads going before March 1. They replied ... "we know people." And that is how you came to be here.

I'm a blessed person and don't know if i can ever thank you enough for taking time out of your own life, to help give life to this new community for frequent flyers. But my effort to sat thanks begins here—Thank you.

ord, Travelsavant, Jim R. and 30 others like this.
  2. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy - Good Luck with this new venture.

I have fond memories of spending time with you at the SMD2 last year. Sitting beside you during the charter flight was a wonderful bonus. What fun that flight was!

Thanks for setting up this new site. I am no expert in this arena! I drink in everything anyone posts, and continue to build my learnings.

3. MileageAddict
    Original Member

MileageAddict Silver Member

Status Points:
    Feels like the late 1990s all over again. :)

4. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Randy -
    Whether spending time with you talking on the buses to and from The Bunker at that CO Do, or at the Austin BBQ Do, and thanks for the treat to the Salt Lick btw, it's always been a pleasure to be part of what you're up to. Looking forward to seeing how things progress here, and ready to shake that hand again when next we Do.

5. zbender
    Original Member

zbender Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a nice, clean, way to present what is very domain-specific information. Hoping the clean layout of the site can be translated into:

manipulate how many posts per page are shown
    "mute" (ignore) posters from your view
    "favourite" (track) particularly-good posters ;-)

best wishes

"the bender".

Tenmoc and Gargoyle like this.
  6. DENFlyer

DENFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    From a visual sense, this is a huge improvement!

I can't wait to see it rapidly develop into "the place to be."

FriendlySkies likes this.
  7. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Randy, congratulations. It's going to be an exciting ride! I'm happy and proud to be a 'charter member' and hope to contribute. I really like the sleek and beautiful design.

8. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Randy for the opportunity to be on the ground floor of a new community of frequent flyers.

May this site be a place where frequent flyers help each other enhance their flying experience.

The graphics and the format are very impressive.

9. essxjay
    Original Member

essxjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Today feels like the first day back home from a long journey. Thanks for creating this great new space. It's an honor and a real treat to be here.

Tazi, Gaucho, Gargoyle and 3 others like this.
  10. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's great to know your presence will still be felt around the intertubes, Randy. The few times we've met in person have always been fantastic. Everything I know today I learnt alongside the boys and girls of your last community, and I'm proud to be here as part of your next.

Looking forward to the first official MilePoint DO! [​IMG]

11. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad and excited to be here!

12. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    thank YOU, randy, and good luck! i'll do whatever i can to help.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  13. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Actually, according to the Royal Order—I am commanded to do whatever I can do to help you and all frequent flyers!

I totally cherish my recent certificate of achievement.

JY1024 and karenkay like this.
  14. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank, Randy! I've learned a lot from FT, and look forward to learning even more on MilePoint!

:D

15. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy: Is the House of Miles the HQ for the site?

And does mayor for the day count for something in this new world? [​IMG]

16. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    it is and it does. We're actually have a job out right now to clean up the old HOM website and repurpose and to have more fun with the Mayor of HOM concept. it seemed to have a popular reception and so indeed, there may be a Help Wanted for the unemployed Mayors!

Travelman, Italy98, joesmoe and 2 others like this.
  17. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    oooh, i'll polish up the tiara!

18. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy: Using the mayor for the day Starbucks gift card, I lifted up my cup of delicious coffee to your future.

Little did I know that your future would involve a new website for the community frequent flyers.

Outstanding initiative. I consider myself fortunate to be on the ground floor. :)

joesmoe likes this.
  19. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    you won't be here long. i pressed the elevator button for you and you are headed upstairs (that means you are being promoted!). I appreciate your support and i'm already Mayor of the local Starbucks—they tell me i buy more Starbucks gift cards than all the rest of their customers combined.

psollitt, joesmoe and milchap like this.
  20. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You should have someone to do that for you.

BondAir007 and joesmoe like this.
  21. essxjay
    Original Member

essxjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Happily, my resume just had a facelift.

22. Thanks again Randy for all you have done, and hopefully the next time that I'm in Denver, I'll actually go to the right theatre to join you all... won't be "Up in the Air" as it was playing that night you were joining everyone, but hope to run into everyone soon at a MilePoint DO :)

23. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Randy, Congratulations and thanks for doing this.

Travelman likes this.
  24. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy, Congratulations and thank you! I am looking forward to this ride and adventure with you! [​IMG]

Travelman likes this.
  25. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Happy to get the chance to be on board from the start of this. I'm sure it will succeed having seen what FT have become.

Travelman likes this.