Weird taxes & fees increase after itinerary change

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by lichenlt, Aug 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    My original routing was ORD-MAD-PRG-MAD-VCE-MAD-FCO-AMM-JFK-SEA, taxes & fees were quoted $279.xx

Then I changed the routing to SEA-ORD-MAD-PRG-MAD-VCE-MAD-FCO-AMM-ORD. When I called to ticket it, the taxes and fees were increased to $354.xx

How could such a change increase the taxes and fees for nearly $80? Basically I substituted the JFK-SEA with SEA-ORD, and changed the AMM-JFK to AMM-ORD. I checked the taxes and fees for these flights SEA-ORD,AMM-ORD, then compared it to AMM-JFK-SEA, I didn't see significant change.

The AA agent did sound extremely unprofessional. She couldn't even find the fees at first, then when asked about the miles needed, she gave me the wrong amount of miles (higher than the correct amount obviously). I then asked her to double check with rate desk, she told me the rate desk is closed for today. Then put me on hold for 20min, and came back with the same answer.

2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this travel less than 21 days ahead? Could you have been charged the $75 expedite fee for award travel, and a couple dollars difference just in exchange rate difference? Looks like it works out to just about that. Can't tell if you have elite status to waive that.

3. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope, the second agent told me it was because my current stay in Jordan is one day more than my original itinerary and there was an terminal change or something like that. Does Jordanian government impose taxes based on the length of your stay? I find it difficult to understand and never heard of such thing associated with airfare.

4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible that your original stay was under the time that required an airport fee and now it is over? (eg it used to be that in BKK if you stayed something less than 12 hours you didn't have to pay the 500 baht airport fee)

lichenlt likes this.
  5. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    completely makes sense now. yes, originally I was only staying overnight at AMM, which was definitely less than 12hrs.