Weird Situation with CX Award Ticket using AA....

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by corz123, Mar 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys. I think I'll be booking a CX flight JFK to YVR (vancounver) to HKG. It's a first class itinerary but only the JFK to YYZ segment will be in first and I'll be on business from YVR to HKG. What is the likelihood of some kind of last minute CX space opening up in F for me? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sounds like you have an international longhaul business class ticket that allows booking into FC for "domestic" connecting flights (which probbably only offer coach and domestic-style FC). My guess is that getting into IFC for the longhaul segments will require many more miles as well as availability. OTOH, there are reports of CX releasing FC award seats during the week or so before departure, so you should check frequently if this is what you want.

3. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Something's amiss...

If you're changing at YYZ, that's Toronto, not Vancouver (YVR) and CX doesn't offer first class on YYZ-HKG.

Plus, AA doesn't offer first class on its own metal between the US and Canada. Any flights that have a front cabin are sold with business class as the top COS.

If your ticketed route is JFK-xYVR-HKG and you're in FC to Vancouver, then Business from YVR to HKG, they could be switching you to CX 837 at YVR, which also doesn't carry first class. That scenario seems the most likely, in which case I'd ask for the whole trip to be booked in business and save the miles. CX F between JFK and YVR is nice enough, but nothing like longhaul FC on Cathay. The new non-coffin business class is still plenty comfortable.

edekba likes this.
  4. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ok i'm an idiot. it's YVR! it's a cx 5th freedom that stops in yvr. cx889 so jfk - yvr - hkg on the same cx metal

5. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It sounds then like CX 889 is sold out in F past YVR, in which case I'd ask for some miles back and book the whole shebang in J.

6. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks! at this point i'm banking on some last minute F space. i'm a bit flexible...so hoping for a nonstop to hkg..