Weight Balance on the E90/E75

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by yyzgigi, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. yyzgigi
    Original Member

yyzgigi Active Member

Status Points:
    I've received a number of upgrades to J on the Embraer due to weight in balance issues. The last flight two of us were moved from 12A/C to 2DF. The flight was pretty full, but J still ended up with some empty seats.

Not that I'm complaining, but anyone have any details on the algorithm? I've flown on the CRAs a number of times with almost empty J cabins and no re balancing.

East_Yorker likes this.
  2. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I read about this a while back on FT... :p

3. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know the aircraft is divided into sections, and the sections have to be within X of each other, but I don't know what X is.

Did they let you stay in J the whole time? Last time I flew YYZ-YYC the FA moved people from 12 A/C for take-off and hen sent them back after the seatbelt sign was off.

East_Yorker likes this.
  4. yyzgigi
    Original Member

yyzgigi Active Member

Status Points:
    The GA did it as a complementary upgrade prior to flight, with an ML*1 and they took our meal order last. The FA didn't do any moving prior or during the flight.

East_Yorker likes this.
  5. Contrary to popular belief among frequent flyers. All aircraft can have issues with weight and balance. (more of an issue on smaller aircraft) Even the 747-8i has to be tested with various weight adjustments to establish its safe flight characteristics.

In larger passenger planes, its done in flight by moving fuel between tanks. In small ones its often done moving people.

Beyond any control and safety considerations, it simply saves fuel when the center of gravity is near where it should be.

East_Yorker and janyyc like this.
  6. WOW an AC flight and they didnt have employees up front?

East_Yorker likes this.