Weight and balance on an MD88 ?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Gargoyle, Jan 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This was a first for me. DL MD 88, ORD-ATL. Front cabin was full, 16 pax. Rear cabin only had 21 or 22 pax. Prior to takeoff they announced there was a weight and balance issue, and all the coach pax had to move all the way to the rear for takeoff and landing. They announced that again shortly prior to arrival at ATL, and moved them all to the back again.

I've encountered that on barbie jets, but never on a real jet. Have any of you run into that, or is it really rare?

sobore and skyvan like this.
  2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had this happen on one of the old PMNW DC-9-50. Ultimately the flight was cancelled an hour after we had boarded, but they had already told us we'd have to move to the back for T/O and Landing (this was before I had any status on NW). There were only about 20 people on that flight.

sobore and Gargoyle like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the past few years I have never seen flights that devoid of pax! Never have seen this balancing act on large aircraft. :confused:

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is indeed the most remarkable part of the story!

I've had weight/balance relocation on mainline jets perhaps three times in 30+ years aloft.

Gargoyle and sobore like this.