Weighing Avios and AAdvantage Reward

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by JAbrams72, Nov 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. JAbrams72
    Original Member

JAbrams72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

So I'm wondering about other people's comparative values. I'm looking at an award ticket and the relative costs are either:

17.5K AAdvantage
    10K Avios

The tax costs otherwise are the same; I see this as pretty much a wash, but wondering about other people's thoughts on it?

Thanks.

tondoleo likes this.
  2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would use Avios. As an AA elite their miles are of more value to me. Additionally, if you do the simple math you are getting more points per $ using less Avios than AA miles. Enjoy your trip.

MX likes this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The use of miles on comparable routings IMHO in the most part depends on how much you have in each program (or the ease of acquiring such) and more importantly which carrier you intend to use them on.
    Sure it may be less Avios in numerical terms but if you are using them for an AA flight you must be aware that in case of irregular opps like the current weather related happenings its patently
    more difficult for AA reps to modify an Avios award and that is further complicated by the fact that BA call centers are notoriously difficult to contact after hours.

So in a nutshell would I book ORD/BOS in Jan using Avios? Not if my life depended on it. MIA/Caribbean most definitely.

4. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although it is an Avios award it is still an AA flight. Once you have booked the award get your AA record locater. Call AA or get it on FinnAir since BA will not have the AA info. Thus, if you have AA status you can choose your seats and depend upon your "desk" to assist you if there are issues.

In sum, I think you are better off using Avios.:)

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct that's how its supposed to work.. under normal circumstances .. however there are multiple reports where AA agents and even the more helpful AC angels are unable to do modifications, reroutes etc to BA awards in unusual (read.. weather ) related ops.
    BA has proven to be woefully inadequate in the past with re-bookings (they don't appear to do them automatically) and there is a fairly current thread on the FT BA board where a member was unable to contact the BA US booking line during the recent weather mess... he called a number of BA international centers, finally got the New Zealand one which still didn't resolve his problem.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    tondoleo likes this.
  6. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As mentioned earlier, would depend upon the route and the timeframe - Avios are great to have in reserve as there's always the ability to book at the last minute for really pricey flights with no fees (my preferred use of Avios, as my AA status is very recent). As I don't live in/near a OneWorld hub, I would ascribe a higher value to the 17.5k AA miles than the 10k Avios (need 4.5k to get to the hub), despite the Avios being harder to earn. For those living near a OneWorld hub, the distance-based redemption of 10k Avios could very well be the best redemption value. When I do redeem Avios, I call the AAdvantage desk and have my AA number added to the itineraries.

zphelj and tondoleo like this.
  7. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lots of great factors pointed out here however given just the math of 17.5k or 10k and my values for each I would go Avios.