Website defaults to smoking room?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by sendaiben, Mar 11, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    My last few bookings (on SPG.com) have all defaulted to smoking rooms, despite my preferences being set to non-smoking.

I would prefer that the site defaulted to non-smoking, as smokers will presumably be more motivated to check that they are booking the right room and putting non-smokers in a smoking room should be avoided if at all possible.

daninstl and uggboy like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had that happen when I was booking rooms for hotels in Asia. IIRC there were smoking rooms, nonsmoking rooms, and rooms that explicitly did not specify smoking or nonsmoking, although I would expect such rooms to smell of cigarette smoke.

This is scary because it could be so easy to book a smoking (or at least not nonsmoking) room by mistake. If you don't catch the error right away, it could be impossible to change the reservation to have a nonsmoking version of the same room category at the same rate.

daninstl and sendaiben like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I might add that with so many places in the USA being 100% nonsmoking and therefore not saying that in the room descriptions when you'fe making a reservation, it's very easy to not notice that the room you're booking in Asia does not say nonsmoking. When it's not explicitly indicated as a nonsmoking room, for all practical purposes it will be a smoking room.

This reminds me of the old incident when Betsy Bailey was a Commissioner on the USA Civil Aviation Board (before deregulation) and USA airlines had just been required to give a nonsmoking seat to every passenger who requested it. Dr. Bailey was flying Eastern and had a seat in the middle of their smoking zone. She complained, and the GA just wrote nonsmoking on her boarding pass but did not declare the entire flight to be nonsmoking as required. It made the media and the CEO Frank Borman came to her office the next day bearing flowers to apologize.

daninstl likes this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed some defaults not working. I guess it pays to really check this. Another room default I get a lot is a handicap accessible room which isn't always good for a non-handicapped person of course.