Web site

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Travel Warrior, Aug 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Travel Warrior

Travel Warrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use the Marriott web site maybe 30 to 50 times a year and I think I understand how it works, including that a rate might change in the middle of a stay and they will give me a clear warning of that on the individual hotel page. No problem, I get it. But yesterday, I was trying to book a hotel for several nights in Chicago and noticed that the rates shown on the first page (where all the brands and locations are shown) seldom existed when I clicked on one of the specific hotels. I thought I might be doing something wrong so I called the Gold customer service center and was told often the rates on the first page don't exist, or once existed but are no longer available. I told the call center person I thought that would be considered a deceptive practice under various federal and state laws, so she sent me to her manager who never answered and never returned my voice mail. Has anyone else encountered the situation where the rates on the first page are virtually never available for each of the individual hotels when you click on them? Or was this (as I think was the case) just a few hours where their web site wasn't functioning properly?

anileze likes this.
  2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is what most travel websites do. It is not a bait n switch; it is just "suggestive" of rates in the past. Deceptive ? Maybe, maybe not. To a cynic, nothing is final, till you click on the the last commit button.

3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do notice it's usually the lowest rate which shows on that first page. In other words, if one day of a stay is a $99 weekend rate and the other 5 days are $299 it will show ("from") $99 on the first page. But as far as a rate being available at all, that's a new low and I can't believe it's legal.

You can do a flexible date search and get the lowest rate shown each day for the next month or two in case that's any help.

anileze likes this.