Weather Protection for 1Ks?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Captain Oveur, Jun 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have any 1Ks had any recent experience with weather delays? Does UA still put you up in a hotel if you're stuck in a weather-related delay and the need to stay overnight arises?

2. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    Simple answer is no, we don't provide paid hotel rooms.

3. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was about to make a snarky comment about changes that I don't like, but then I remembered that in all my time as a 1K, I never took advantage of the 1K weather delay benefit. The times it happened and I could have used it, the logistics of doing so were so awful that I chose not to do so. In other words, if it's late, I've been on the road all day, my flights have been cancelled, I'm stuck in a hub city, and I have to come back for a flight the next morning, I'd rather just go get a close-by hotel and pay for it myself than wait in line with 100 people.

cvsara and ssullivan like this.
  4. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear you. And in 90%+ of cases where this might happen to me (it's very, very rare that it does; maybe once every 2-3 years at most), I'm on business travel. A hotel room for that night would already be paid for by my expense account, so it's not like I'm personally out the cash that the hotel room costs. In fact, it really doesn't make a difference to my employer either, as either way, they'd be paying for a room that night.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember UA Insider stating that yes, there was hotel provision for weather at the CO Plat level. I thought he mentioned that it had been in place several years and to mention GG Amenities, however, searches by people as recent as last fall failed to find a mention of the benefit.

7. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same story for me. I've never needed it on personal travel and the few times I needed it on work travel (a little more frequently than you, but that's what I get for flying ORD RJ routes in winter) it was easier/faster just to book something and expense it.

The one time a RCC agent pro-actively printed the voucher anyway, it was the CP where I have no status. So much better to stay somewhere with status benefits.

8. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    HMM over the years ,when this has happened United always took care of me. It was one of a handful of comforting,always loyal aspects of being a loyal UA flyer that meant alot to me.I havent experienced it since sometime in 2011. That last time was on a return from Brussels? Germany through Dulles. I hope that same care is still in place-MM,frequent, though not always 1k Steve

9. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used in 2 or 3 times in the four years that I've been elite. It's always been a nice benefit and saved me $150 in some expensive cities.

10. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uhhh Brussels is definitely not in Germany sir ;)

EWR764 and ssullivan like this.
  11. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used the benefit. And I'm not sure the OP's question has been answered by a frequent traveler citing post-March 3 experience. Has any 1K asked for the benefit recently and been turned down?

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The first reply seems to spell out the official policy (officially not stated authoritatively, but still)

13. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
  14. gottagoflying

gottagoflying Active Member

Status Points:
    NOPE this benefit is gone.

Experienced this first hand as a 1K stranded at MSP last week due to weather. Was told by UA GA, "better find a room quick... there will be a lot of people stranded here tonight."

15. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a 1K UA did provide me accommodations when I had a forced overnight as a result of WX delays or cancelations. Sometimes the value is simply knowing that they located a room, as it wasn't generally high end.

UA did this both on domestic and international itineraries. Is the *A policy for all itineraries or just international?

I hope UA continues to offer this - we always have the option not to partake if we want to skip the line or select our own. But not everyone has an employer on whom to pawn this off, and often you already have a room you will pay for at your destination even if you don't make it.

16. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Star policy formally applies to intercontinental journeys only, although some carriers extend it to all international itineraries.

17. stephenbgarvan

Status Points:
    it was 1 or the other, thus the question mark- thanks.

18. stephenbgarvan

Status Points:
    very
    shortsighted & inconsiderate -another substantial change if, solidly policy now.And the smart courtesy for loyal customers wasnt only for 1ks..

19. stephenbgarvan

Status Points:
    my sentiments exactly -and I work for myself so its been very heartily appreciated when United stepped up for that in last 16 years.

Seacarl likes this.
  20. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sfogate, PMUA up to post merger, used to. It was an unpublished 1K benefit, if the pax could not be accomodated to final destination and required an overnight

As stated by previous posters the rooms were not high end, but similar deal to rooms given out to FA/crew that was stuck.

stephenbgarvan likes this.
  21. stephenbgarvan

Status Points:
    Worked fine for me the times it was needed.

22. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    The former UA policy quoted in the FT thread, stated that it applied to international journeys including domestic portions of international trip, for 1K, *G, premium cabin pax, etc.

Slightly OT, the series on TLC channel "On the Fly" featuring WN operations, had a recent episode where inbound pax miss-connected due to weather. The GA was providing hotel vouchers even though it was ATC/WX delay (I'm sure the presence of TV cameras had nothing to do with their generosity:rolleyes:) Anyway this one passenger wasn't satisfied with that, and caused quite a scene demanding a meal voucher as well. I guess the old advice about not looking a gift horse in the mouth has fallen out of favor!

23. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    this is a pity. i used the benefit a couple of times while traveling, and it made me want to stay 1k. now that i don't have that status anymore, hearing that the benefit is gone is yet another reason i'm not missing 1k quite so much. ;)

goalie likes this.
  24. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually as a United 0 I got a free room last year in ORD when my connection missed by a few minutes. I went to the RCC club and they gave me a voucher . I assume I just got lucky.

25. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that was due to PMUA policy, not the post-merger new policy. TOBB has always said that sCO's IRROPS handling wasn't nearly as good as sUA's. This is one place where it shows.