Weather concerns with award ticket

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Jeffrey, Mar 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am currently in Japan on an award ticket booked with United miles and, in theory, flying home tomorrow to JFK on ANA first class... except the snowstorm is headed that way. Assuming something happens to the flight and I need rerouting, whom do I go to first: United, or ANA? Would I need to find something available as a Saver award seat to get rebooked, or would they send me on any Star Alliance plane they can find? Would I be able to insist on at least business class (I'm willing to extend my vacation a day if I have to... there are worse things!) and, presumably, United would simply refund the difference in miles in such a downgrade case?

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    first, deep breath, relax, WX delays happen. You are booked in F, make sure you fly F. I don't have any experience with ANA but other airlines have offered me the bait of "we can route you this way but you'll have to fly biz" (or even economy). Don't take it. Flying on other Star Alliance flights is certainly an option. Only accept what works for you.

MX likes this.