Wearing pajamas on flights

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by gobluetwo, Jan 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    So it's pretty well known that long-haul int'l F and, on some carriers, C passengers are provided with airline-specific pajamas. Although I've never had the pleasure, I'm sure I'd take advantage of it if offered.

My question is - have you ever just worn your OWN pajamas on a flight that either didn't offer PJ's or in lieu of the ones provided by the airline? Or would you do it in the future? I never thought about it before, but I was just re-reading lucky's story about wearing his QF jammies in the F lounge and it came to mind. I think I'd do it.

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    No way would I wear my own pj's on a flight. I will wear the airlines pj's during a flight, and I do take the pj's home and wear them, but I would never take any pj's onto a flight.

I think it looks a bit sad when someone takes their FC pj's and wear them back in Biz Class, makes it look like there has been some downturn in circumstances.

YULtide and IDGflygirl like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please note that these airline PJs are not the same as the PJs that one would normally purchase in an apparel store. The SQ version is more like a knitted track suit than lingerie! The new AA PJs are thinner, but still definitely unisex and not at all revealing. Unless your taste in sleepwear is closer to thick athletic wear than normal nightwear, do not plan to wear your own PJs on board.

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The F/C pajamas I've seen aren't particularly flattering, but maybe that's due to limited experience. Personally I think my own are nicer, and they're basically the same thing (drawstring pants and a T-shirt). I would still feel weird putting them on. The benefit of having airline-issued pajamas is that there is explicit permission to wear them. If I wore pajamas in Y, even on an international flight, I would feel like one of the many infrequent travelers who show up with all their bedding for a 4-hour transcon.

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are pajamas?

6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    For longer flights (TPAC), I like to bring a change of clothes. I usually go for loungewear and a good cotton t-shirt for sleep attire. I prefer to be comfortable for sleeping and when I deplane, my regular clothes are not wrinkled!

7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do wear the airline-issued pajamas but last First Class trip, there was a female passenger I would have loved to see in a nightie!

8. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    yep, a set of brooks brothers long bottoms and a long t-shirt. preferred to airline stuff.

9. I have heard of some people getting naked in the first class beds that lay competely flat and close! It would be funny if they forgot they took off thier clothes and got up... :p

10. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't worn pyjamas since I was 12. I just don't understand why people wear clothes in bed. Not that I'd sleep naked on a plane though :)

anabolism, Valentine, YULtide and 2 others like this.
  11. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually bring my own Pjs whenever I fly in F or J with fully flat or angled flat seats as I tend to like my own better than what the airline provides (when they do). As a result, many of the ones I've gotten courtesy of the airlines have become unworn collections. And for ones that I've gotten often such as CX's Shanghai Tang, I've even managed to donate a couple to the Goodwill.

12. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bring my own pajama bottoms and my own slippers. The airline slippers never seem to fit right, i hate wearing shoes the entire flight, and i'm not interested in visiting the bathroom in socks.

My own pajama bottoms are very comfortable, and on some flights, where airline pj's aren't offered, i still have something more comfortable to weart o save sitting/sleeping in my khaki's.

Also alot of airline's pj's are really poor quality these days.

I see no reason not too, in the past year I've spent more time away from home/on an airplane than I have at home.

U usually just wear a comfortable t-shirt for the shirt.

Here's my kicking back on a lufthansa 74 a few months ago - as my slippers were a xmas gift, i didn't have them at this time.
    IMG_0034.jpg

Attached Files:

13. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, how do you think the rumors about those people started?

Epson187 and Flyer1976 like this.
  14. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess my question is. Do you put the pajamas on in the bathroom? (I'm assuming that's the only place to change clothes except for a fully enclosed suite.) The airplane bathrooms I have been inside had very little room, and I don't like putting my clothes on the floor or the toilet.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  15. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've changed in bathroom stalls at the airport and other public places. I'd imagine changing inside an airplane lav wouldn't be too much different. It is a bit tricky making sure nothing except your shoes touch the ground, or that you avoid the toilet, but it is doable. Most (some?) lav doors should have little coat hooks on which you can hang your clothes.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  16. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use the lav with a changing table, making sure it's clean before putting things on it. Like others have said, I prefer not to sleep in my normal clothes in a flat/angled seat, so I have some fleece pants and a T-shirt to change into. So far, I stick with street clothes in Y, although I do take off my belt and try to wear something comfortable.

MSPeconomist and canucklehead like this.
  17. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes I do. I'm not a very tall nor big, hence the lavs CX and SQ have for F cabin for example is more than enough for me to change comfortably.

MSPeconomist and canucklehead like this.
  18. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on which lavs though.. The front left lavatory on the CX 744 is one of the most spacious and easiest places to change.. And so does SQ 77W's front right lavatory. Both are disability enabled I believe..

MSPeconomist likes this.
  19. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The Shanghai Tang ones are good... NH's pj's aren't bad either.. But they can be a bit too warm.. :)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  20. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always change in the lav. Considered doing it under a blanket once in F, but that would have lost me any F'n cred! :p

If the lav is tight, I try to drop trou and sit on the toilet (seat down :D) take off the original pair and pull up my sleeping pants. No struggle usually.

MSPeconomist and General_Flyer like this.
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I try to change is the disabled lavatory but if it isn't vacant whenI want to change, I can manage in the regular plane lav.

Clothing like a tee shirt that you don't plan to wear again can be used as a little bathmat or personal carpet, then carefully folded with the floor side to the inside until it can be laundered carefully. I do the same in airport lounge showers when not enough towels and a bathmat are not provided.

General_Flyer likes this.
  22. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The only problem with using regular lavatory for me is longer changing time and lots of metal clanking from belt... Other than that, I can fit relatively well in there.. :)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a ton of SQ IFC PJs. Many pursers have insisted that I take a second fresh set as a souvenir and I've usually been handed a second set after the NRT or FRA stops on the 747s. With my teddy bears, I walk off with overstuffed carryon and an additional SQ shopping bag. This is not a complaint.

anabolism and General_Flyer like this.
  24. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My biggest bounty was on SFO-HKG where the purser gave me 3 sets of pajamas.. :D

Laptop Nomad and MSPeconomist like this.
  25. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    If anyone wants to unload a few sets of PJ's, I'm probably a size M :D ;)