Weak / None LIM - IPC Award Availability in Y/C

Discussion in 'LAN | LANPASS' started by beofotch, Nov 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. beofotch
    Original Member

beofotch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking July - September of 2013 for 2 tickets in C LIM - IPC. However, I see nothing in either class, even for one seat using the BritishAirways tool. Is there a chance this is because of the LAN system switchover?

I see IPC - SCL availability (plenty of it) in C during the same time period. Anyone have any insights?

Beofotch

2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are promoting LIM to IPC as the routing from US with cheapish 999 fares. Maybe that is soaking up inventory?

3. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Likely that no such flight exists. LIM-IPC (LAN 848) is a seasonal flight and I don't think they run it during southern hemisphere winter past the first week of April. I flew it in February.

Award availability is usually good on that segment, about 7 C seats. There's still even award availability on the flight that gets into IPC for the Tapati Festival.

When it is available, the route is only 2x weekly -- Sunday 1:20am and Wednesday 1:20am departures from LIM.

miles and smiles likes this.
  4. beofotch
    Original Member

beofotch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your responses. The flight does exist for revenue ticket on the dates i want. however for awards its like as if the flights didn't even exist. Also other common LAN legs with multiple flights per day do not show up as available for any days that I can see such as LIM - CUZ; CUZ - LIM; and SCL - MDZ. However, IPC - SCL does show up. Something is not right with the LAn availability. I will try and book an AA Explorer Award next week, and ask the AA agent to attempt long sells on each of these mystery segments

5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I may what day are you trying to get LIM-IPC?

6. beofotch
    Original Member

beofotch Silver Member

Status Points:
    August 11, 2013. Right now I have AA working with LAN to try and open up 2 seats for me on that date because I have a 15 segment AA Explorer Award on hold and this one leg is holding it up from being a legal routing and ticketed.

7. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There isn't a flight that day. Doesn't show up in GDS nor does it show up on LAN's site when you try to book it revenue.

8. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I was there in April, the LIM flight was twice a week only. I flew IPC to Lima on a Sunday. going to IPC from Santiago as there was better availability from there in J class. I had to get two separate one way tickets to make it work -JFK/Santiago/IPC and IPC/Lima/JFK on LAN

9. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeap, Sunday and Wednesday. One plane goes LIM-IPC-SCL and the other does SCL-IPC-LIM. But August 11, 2013 shows no LIM-IPC nonstop flight.

10. beofotch
    Original Member

beofotch Silver Member

Status Points:
    search for it on expedia/orbitz. it is there. and LAN's timetable shows it as does when you call LAN and speak to an agent. However, the LAN revenue/award booking website doesn't show it though its there.

11. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    On Expedia, all I see is the Iberia codeshare, but not the actual LAN flight.

On Orbitz, I see the flight, but when you try to book it, it says "This flight is no longer available."

12. beofotch
    Original Member

beofotch Silver Member

Status Points:
    As of this morning it is now showing up for award inventory on August 11. I am on hold with American to see if they will reticket me with out fee to get this flight.

13. beofotch
    Original Member

beofotch Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I did finally get LIM - IPC ticketed on the award ticket in December. Sadly, with the schedule change this week, it looks like LIM - IPC is gone in August when I plan to fly, and they have re-routed us LIM - SCL - IPC. Is there any chance that they cut this because of the dreamliner issues and so just in case they needed 767s to backfill on some of those routes? If so, should I not call American to make any changes until a new schedule comes out which has LIM - IPC back?

Also, did they really kill LIM - IPC in 2012 during the "off-season", or did they end up keeping year-round service?

14. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LIM-IPC has always been a Southern Hemisphere high season route ... August is winter time, they've never run LIM-IPC during that time, only SCL-IPC. The "availability" you saw was an Iberia codeshare but not the actual LAN flight.

15. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    They won't cut SCL-IPC. They may replace the equipment, but they won't cut the route. It's the only air link between the mainland and the island - it would be like cutting the only flight to Hawaii from the mainland US.

16. beofotch
    Original Member

beofotch Silver Member

Status Points:
    so is it safe to assume LIM - IPC will not be reinstated for August 2013 based on the past year activities?

17. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

It's not a matter of being reinstated - this route never officially existed during that time period. I think there may have been poor management of the schedule by codeshare partners and third parties which allowed this flight to appear in search results for dates it shouldn't have, but LIM-IPC has always been a seasonal route.

daemon14 likes this.
  18. beofotch
    Original Member

beofotch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am fortunate it showed up in the calendar - it allowed me to make my AA oneworld explorer award ticket legal, if it wasn't avialable it wouldn't have been a legal ticket because they only allow 16 segments and now doing LIM - SCL - IPC makes 17!

zpaul likes this.
  19. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, there's looking at the silver lining! Regardless of how you get there, Easter Island is a great place to visit. Enjoy!