We were unable to assign seats to one or more passengers.

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by jrsinpdx, May 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jrsinpdx
    Original Member

jrsinpdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep getting this message on DL.com:

We were unable to assign seats to one or more passengers. Original seat assignments for affected passengers have been retained.

Never seen this before. Any thoughts on the reason?

ryandc99 likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL sets aside a lot of prime seats for their elite passengers and a lot more for airport assignment, including bulkheads in which handicapped have priority, etc. Like other carriers, DL also overbooks some flights.

Lack of a seat assignment usually means that no unrestricted seats are available. You will get your seats at check in or at the gate. However, it can help to check back and look at the seat map periodically, especially around the windows in which upgrades are cleared.

ryandc99 and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  3. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    With the change to allow for booking EC, their systems now only 'pull' the seats 2x rather than a live feed. Seat maps show what seat is avail when you start and then when you confirm it it queries again to make sure the seat is still there...

ryandc99 and MSPeconomist like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For all seats now, or just EC?

ryandc99 likes this.
  5. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, this is not the EC problem. This is a real IT issue (again). I just received a confirmation from DL. I left the contact person name because we all know it is not a real person, but one of the 'imaginary names' used @ CC.

Dear DLROADS,
    Thank you for contacting us.
    We are aware that some SkyMiles members are unable to change their seats on delta.com. We know this presents a challenge and we apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Please know the delta.com team is working hard to correct this error. In the meantime, I was able to secure seat XX for your flight from Tokyo to Singapore. I am showing that you have already been assigned seat XX for your flight from Singapore to Tokyo.
    We appreciate the opportunity to review your concerns and hope your trip is pleasant in every respect. We deeply value your Diamond Medallion loyalty.
    Sincerely,
    Liz Lemon
    Medallion Desk
    www.delta.com

6. jrsinpdx
    Original Member

jrsinpdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    My issue is neither EC or no seat related. We're just flying PDX to SLC (623 miles). I have non-preferred seats and am trying to change them without success. I seem to be having a lot of seat assignment problems in the last 3 weeks. Assigned seats keep getting changed or just plain disappear.

ryandc99 likes this.
  7. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    No I think you missed the point of the post.

With the EC change, the way all seats are handled has changed.

ryandc99 likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried calling?

9. jrsinpdx
    Original Member

jrsinpdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not worth the effort for a 1 hour flight. I have OK seats, just not my Preferred seats. FYI; I got the following response from Delta:

"Thank you for contacting us.

I am sorry you are not able to assign seats on our website. Our
    delta.com team is aware of this issue. We currently do not have a timeframe for a fix, but thank you in advance for your patience while we correct this problem."

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    "No timeframe for a fix" sounds bad. This could cost them a lot in terms of additional customer service phone calls.

11. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am actually pretty p*$$ed at this... I started getting earlier today research fellows calls about it (they usually call me with .dumb questions), and it took them a while to admit it is a system-wide problem.
    To be quite honest, I just don't get it. I have a feeling every change on delta.dumb is rolled without extensive or any testing. I understand that there are alot of legacy systems involved here, but I get real time complicated records from systems that were programmed in the 1960's and feed into our ERP systems. You can't tell me that the system DL works with is older.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can understand DL having an incentive not to fix the award booking search engine or deluding themselves that when we search for paid flights, we'd be too confused if we were to see all choices but this one seems like a no brainer. It would cost less to fix it--or to never mess it up initially--than to leave it the way it is. It doesn't cost DL anything to let elites and other people successfully reserve seats they're happy with.

13. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does cost them money. I have one of our research fellows booking now (as we type) three-member visit to another research group on *A, because he can't reserve seats. I actually inquire with delta, and they offered to have me call to set the seats through the DM desk, even though none of the flying pax would be a DM. I generousely declined. I can't stay on the line while they figure it out.

14. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had this problem a couple of times on a booking made over the past week - fortunately, I did get my desired seats when I called and they have stuck! :)

15. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just had a good laugh about it with my fellows this morning. Continited had about $1200 that went for bookings on their flights. I would get to stay at home for 10 more days.
    I feel very happy knowing that the aircraft's computers are not maintained by .dumb

MSPeconomist likes this.
  16. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Surely they could have come up with a better name for the customer service rep than this:

MSPeconomist likes this.
  17. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was a huge discussion at FT over the "imaginary" names... we logically assessed that some of the names are associated with functions. "Liz Lemon" is IT-related issues (usually...)

There are also
    Miss Kiora,
    Miss September (I also got one from Miss August)
    and other imaginary names. They seem to like singers and actresses (I got some Canadian actresses), though no Justin B. yet... but wait! it will happen.

As for the seating problem- it still continues- as of last night. I am in a very uncomftrable position on this matter, because teammates have been emailing/calling. What can I do?

MSPeconomist likes this.
  18. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    FT has gotten pretty unwieldy in the DL forum. I've gotten some interesting names before, but not (yet) the lead character name from 30Rock.

Then again, perhaps "lemon" for the IT function is admitting what we all know.....
    Book with another carrier, I suppose, or call and escalate each time. I was about to go search for a trip I need to make week after next - if DL can't assign seats I will book with another carrier.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  19. cfischer
    Original Member

cfischer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My seating problems have been resolved and I can asisgn Y+ seats myself now.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  20. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried to get regular seats on ATL-ORD last week. I could not get them to take. I called DL and got new seats assigned. I checked them this morning (MON) and they had changed again for the outbound (TUE). Wowzers, what a hassle. How about an email notification or something?

MSPeconomist likes this.
  21. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I just spent 20 minutes trying to seat my VP on his flights to the far east.

I want Delta's staff and executives to book all their non-rev seating through delta.com. Then, the problem would be solved.

ShopAround and MSPeconomist like this.
  22. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is why Shena exists!!

23. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you called SMS?

24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope your VP recognizes what a well qualified researcher is taking time to help with his/her travel arrangements. Doesn't the VP have an Executive Assistant to do stuff like this?

25. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have two... but at 6pm or so, it's each on their own. For long-range travel, they prefer to have me look into that (as I travel a bit more...)

Oh, and for the seat story of last night:
    Dear Delta,

I am willing to pay more for last minute travel, but:
    --- $1301.93+ tax for LGA-DTW-YYZ? and no seat assignment for a DM? I am sorry, but don't you think the website has gone off a bit too much?
    --- Please note that I had to purchase the ticket with AirCanada. Oh, and I was able to get the seat online!
    (And let's leave a side the fact it was about 50% of the price)

If it sounds like I am p!$$ed off, it is because I am...