We need a thread for hotels that people like that just don't belong to any program.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by the_happiness_store, Feb 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
    ie: One's favorite or least favorite B&B. Not a Hyatt, Hilton or Ambassador; just a place for us non hotel chasers to look for recommendations. If there is one, I have once again been blind.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If in Tunis I'd pick Dar Fatima in Sidi bou Said over the hostel in the medina. You can have this:
    [​IMG]
    or this:
    [​IMG]

In Marrakesh I'm a big fan of Riad Irene:
    [​IMG]

Sure, I had to fix their WiFi to get it to work correctly but the owners were quite appreciative of my efforts and odds are it is still working correctly there now. :)

In Lecce, Italy we stayed at Casa dei Mercanti. It is right in the heart of the city and we had a 1 BR apartment (full kitchen, living room and dining room) that is probably larger than my apartment here in NYC fo only EUR 80/night. We found that one on hotels.com and the reviews there were spot on with our experience. Great location, great host (an email 2 days prior inquiring about our arrival details and great explanation of how to get there and find parking!) and a great room. Sadly, no photos in the room, but it was really nice.

It is a chain, but the Roommate Hotels (mostly in Europe) are pretty fun and nice, too. We did one in Barcelona (Emma, I believe) and quite enjoyed it.

I'll add more if I can think of them.

And I fully support the concept of getting away from the Western branded crap when on the road. WAY better adventures, even if there is no toilet seat. :eek:

the_happiness_store likes this.
  3. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just rebooked Hostal Persal in Madrid. It was fine in 2007. I will report when I get back toward the end of March.