We got Rouged ...

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by tomh009, Dec 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our flight from YYZ to CUN last week turned out to be on Rouge, as Rouge has been growing ints A319 fleet (with transfers from AC mainline).

There was no difference in check-in or boarding process, except that the priority boarding call for "business class passengers" was a little bit pointless.

Once boarded, though, the view was certainly different:
    [​IMG]

The seats were slimline ones (enabling more pax with less weight), but comfort of the seat itself was quite decent. I had selected 3E/3F for our flight so we got to enjoy the "Rouge Plus"-level comfort, with (I think) a 35" pitch; I didn't feel sufficiently motivated to check out the comfort in the back, and see whether these seats make 31" tolerable.

Some other parts of the interior (such as the wall between the pax and the front galley show clear weight-saving initiatives as well. Overheads are the same -- and I mean the same, looking a bit beat up from years of use.

The IFE is iDevice only or laptop -- but I wasn't able to get the laptop option to work. I connected to the wireless network, but there was no obvious URL to go to (and no instructions), and typing in an arbitrary URL didn't redirect to anywhere useful. Will try this again on the return flight.

Cafe on Board was Rouge-branded but as far as I could tell it's exactly the same as the one on AC mainline flights.

The crew was new, and wearing the designed-to-be-hip Rouge uniforms. They also tried to be chipper and cracked a few jokes (fortunately not too many) and ran a small guessing contest for all the pax.

2. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear/read that Rouge isn't all that bad after all. Thanks!

3. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    An update after the return flight, which we spent in 24E/24F (thanks, AP, for assigning such lovely seats ... though I should have checked, too). The 29" pitch (not 31"!) was actually tolerable for me, and I'm 6'1 with a lot of that in the legs. The slim-line seats help, and if you then remove the massive tome that Enroute has become from the lower pocket, and relocate it to the upper one, you end up with basically the same space as the older planes' 31".

I still don't know how to connect a laptop to the streaming ... but the FA came by and offered me an iPad. Not to anyone else around me, only me, so it had to be due to the SE status. What's up with that? Is there Rouge SE benefit that I'm not aware of? (I actually declined the iPad so I don't know what would have happened after that ...)

mtlfire, mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  4. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    29 inches? Seriously? Boy inches or girl inches?

tomh009 and YULtide like this.
  5. wannaflyaway

wannaflyaway Member

Status Points:
    When I looked at reward tickets to fly to Barcelona next summer, it seems like I don't have any choice to fly Rouge. I'll keep chaging dates to see if I just wanted to fly on the wrong days or something like that.

6. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure that AC has flown to BCL ever....but you're right about BCN.

ping pong likes this.