Ways to earn points?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by mgtravels, Nov 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mgtravels

mgtravels Active Member

Status Points:
    I am 54 "points" away from earning Platinum status. Other than a mileage run, is there a way to earn points? (as opposed to miles).
    Thanks.

2. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not that I am aware. In previous years, getting 'close enough' has resulted in members being granted status anyway, and being 54 points short would certainly fall in that category. But its an undocumented, unofficial policy so there is always the risk that it wouldn't apply this year - and you'd only find out when it was too late.

From the flyerguide wiki http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Elite_Status_(AA)

NYBanker and edekba like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    54EQP ... i dont know if you can buy EQP ... you might need to fly a really short flight or just hope that the exception above is true

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You can't buy EQP. Or EQM (with the exception of the 40K spend on the AA World Elite CC). Makes some sad, and some happy. ;)

And I agree with the above. Your options are to either hope AA continues to offer the unofficial grace it has in the past and automatically update your status to PLT despite being short a few EQP, or you can guarantee your status by taking one more flight.

How much of a gambler are you? ;)

NYBanker and edekba like this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The intermediate posts lay it all out well. Let us know what you decide....and how it goes!

6. mgtravels

mgtravels Active Member

Status Points:
    I'll probably make a call and see what they have to say. The biggest benefit to me for Platinum is the 100% bonus vs. 25% for Gold.

I'm flying business class on BA to Dublin and Munich in January and certainly want to maximize my earning potential.

Will update this post with results.....

malikguy likes this.