Ways to earn DL SM miles (not flying)

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by hpc, Feb 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. hpc

hpc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey everybody,

I was wondering if anyone could give me an advice on how to earn extra Delta SkyMiles.
    I'm based in EU but I'm a DL SM member. Why? Because my company is ATL based and because I can earn miles with KLM and Air France when flying EU (not much except on my way to US).
    I have some domestic US flights, and I'm happy for the medallion upgrades :)

What I want is to earn extra miles when I'm not flying. I know about the Delta SkyMiles AMEX card, but as far as I know I can't apply as a non US citizen. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Car renting is not really an option for me, because I don't need it - when not at home I prefer to travel by plane/train etc.

I was thinking if there was any alternative way to earn miles, and perhaps even MQMs, when not on a plane?

Thanks in advance!

hpc

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes there are hotel promos that earn MQMs in addition to bonus miles, IIRC recently with Hilton.

For the DL AmEx cards, I suspect the requirement is USA residency rather than citizenship.

Handleman20 likes this.
  3. hpc

hpc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I guess I have to fly my miles in :)

But thanks, anyway :)

4. dtmarz

dtmarz Active Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Honors will allow for a double dip. Points at Hilton and Delta miles.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think these are bonus (redeemable) miles, not MQMs or status miles.

6. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Occasionally there are promos where you can get MQM's by staying at Hiltons, or making donations to charity, or joining SCs --- but I'm not aware of any right now.

Best such current promo is 2012 bonus miles for staying at Hiltons, but they're not MQMs and the promo expires the end of the month.

Bob H

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is what I remembered.

8. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last year, there was an offer for DL MQM's when tranferring Membership Rewards points if it was your first transfer ever between MR and DL. I earned 25,000 MQM's for that but was probably a one-time thing.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC something like this was offered twice recently, but an individual could only do it once.

10. hpc

hpc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for your tips. I will look further into your suggestions ;)

/hpc

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the bottom line is that in general the only substantial way is via DL AmEX, where significant spend on Plat and Reserve gets MQM also. Other methods involve small amounts of bonus miles or are limited promos at this point.