Ways around a One Way Rental Fee

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by `X', Apr 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. `X'
    Original Member

`X' Silver Member

Status Points:
    So im looking at a hire from Seattle to San Fran (prefer downtown locations) for 3 days in july (not over a weekend sadly).

Im a #1 club member but even with those codes I cant seem to find any decent rate that does not include a one way fee (Drop fee). National will offer me a fairly decent rate without the one way fee but was hoping to stick with Hertz to use the #1 club membership for once.

Any tips? Do Hertz pricematch at all?

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would check on others experience in Seattle to see if the benefits / treatment of a #1 club member warrant using Hertz over National. This is the very reason I use three rental car companies. It's hard to stay loyal when the rates say otherwise. ;)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention that Emerald Club runs circles around #1 Club Gold. ;)

#1 Club Gold really doesn't do anything special except maybe speed up the rental pick-up process by a couple of minutes. That won't do much at a downtown location and certainly won't do enough for you to make it worth a premium on a long, one-way rental like that. As a basic #1 Club Gold member, you won't get any upgrade or anything.

Hertz will try to give you the crappiest car on the lot for a one-way. National's "choose your own car" concept ensures that won't happen. With Emerald Club, if you book a midsize, you can pick any car on the Emerald Aisle--netting possibly a fullsize or even maybe a small SUV or something. You can pick the car you'll prefer to drive on that long trip, even looking for one with satellite radio (which Hertz charges extra for).

4. `X'
    Original Member

`X' Silver Member

Status Points:
    Problem with Emerald Club is as far as the website allows only applications by US & Canadian Residents. Im from Australia and we dont have National out here... so im kinda stuck :(

5. petron5000

petron5000 Active Member

Status Points:
    Or...book Avis with a certain AWD code from certain state with a panhandle. Free one-ways.

6. `X'
    Original Member

`X' Silver Member

Status Points:
    yeah i cant really use that code. Will look kinda suss when i hand over an Australian Drivers License and the rate code is for "State Employee of Florida"

7. Suliman
    Original Member

Suliman Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is one of the few really good uses of #1 points. Use them if you've got them. This is really the only reason why I stock up on points every once in a while (instead of FF miles).

SC Flier likes this.
  8. petron5000

petron5000 Active Member

Status Points:
    Not if you're preferred and never have to see a person ;-0

9. `X'
    Original Member

`X' Silver Member

Status Points:
    im not, so i will have to see someone.

10. sheepherder

sheepherder Active Member

Status Points:
    Are there any airline programs that allow the use of miles for one-way car rentals?