Way to earn miles buying Subway gift cards (works best with AA, but most airlines will work)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Mike1625, Dec 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I may have discovered something that was useful to me, and may be useful to others.

I buy restaurant.com certificates from time to time. I usually only buy when there is an 80% off code, which makes the $25 certificates only $2 each ... I always buy these through the aa shopping portal, because they offer 18 AA miles per dollar spent (one of the highest reward totals on the site). Other airlines shopping portals will work too, but they all offer less bang for the buck.

Last night I noticed that restaurant.com was offer a bundle of 3 Subway $10 gift cards, and 3 restaurant.com $25 dinning certificates for $35.95, with free shipping. Since I buy the restaurant.com certificates at $2 each anyways, this was a chance to buy some Subway gift cards at face value, and get 18 miles per dollar.

I just did this last night, so no the miles have not posted, but I bought 3 of the packs (you are allowed to buy up to 10) .... I thought I had nothing to lose, since I would use all of the products and they were priced fairly .... so now lets just hope the miles post at that great rate.

2. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    2 things I forgot to mention in the first post ....

on their homepage, you may have to click on today's special (which I don't think is very special) and then click on "more specials"

Also, this deal has a countdown clock until it expires, and it only has 4 days and 16 hours on the clock, so don't put off for too long.

3. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doing the math...You will earn 648 AA miles for this purchase.

Also, you can earn 20 ultimate reward points per dollar (transferable to BA, UA, etc) on restaurant.com, so that might be an even better deal for some people.

alohastephen and Mike1625 like this.
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would rather buy Jimmy Johns gift cards while earning miles :p

5. modernhaus

modernhaus Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing, and great reminder on the AA portal! I have a question though--I only buy from Restaurant.com when there is an 80% off code as well.
    I have received Restaurant.com certificates as awards from other purchases in the past, and when redeeming these have always been forcibly routed through a redemption page that charges full price and has no option to enter the 80% off code. So my $25 "gift certificate" was only valid to redeem once for one restaurant's $25 certificate (instead of 12 times for $2 certs), even though the same certificate was available for only $2 by logging on to restaurants.com normally. Have you been able to redeem $25 certificates using the 80% off codes? Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

alohastephen and Mike1625 like this.
  6. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're doing nothing wrong. Restaurant.com certificates for use on their site specifically are for the amount of the actual certificate you are purchasing (ie. $25 really means $25 worth of certificates, not $25 to use towards purchases of certificates). Hope that helps!

On another note, I noticed that you can purchase restaurant.com gift certificates via their site. I wonder if this allows for double dipping via the shopping rewards portals...

7. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which is why you have to value the 3 $25 certificates in this offer as $2 each, then the math adds up $36 in gift cards and certificates for $35.95 .. so you save 5 cents ... but the value of what I was saying here... if you are going to use these products anyway ... might as well get 18 aa miles per dollar of Subway gift card. (20 to points via Ultimate Rewards or whatever portal you use)

alohastephen likes this.
  8. Skyvillager
    Original Member

Skyvillager Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most restaurants in USA sell their own gift cards at 20% discount now thru end of December.
    If you value AA miles at 1c each -- the 20c per dollar savings might be a better deal.
    Plus you would not have to deal with shopping mall and Cartera.

Most supermarkets and pharmacy stores in USA do carry Subway gift cards and often sell them at 10 to 20% discount.

Restaurant.com is currently offering $10 coupons at $0.00.
    Those who can actually use these, should stock up on freebies now.

Mike1625 likes this.
  9. modernhaus

modernhaus Active Member

Status Points:
    Oh, ok. I see what you mean. Thanks!

Mike1625 likes this.
  10. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you ever see them at a discount, please let me know. I have never seen Subway or supermarkets sell them for a discount. I have seen Subway offer a free 6 inch sub (value to me $2.50) free with a $25 gift card purchase ... which has a 10% value .... which is less valuable to me than 18 miles per dollar. I love loading up on gift cards for me this time of year, because of all the deals ... I just don't see much for Subway (at least near where I live in Tampa, Florida).

11. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been buying Subway gift cards at Kohl's, which offers at least 10 pts/$ with Freedom card. Maybe not as big as quoted above, but much easier.

12. PantyWaster

PantyWaster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on your valuation this should be a little better just face value in that you can use the Restaurant.com certs anytime...not just during the 80% off sale.

Andyandy and Mike1625 like this.
  13. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love logic, I am a very logic driven person, so I like your thinking. You would be correct, but there was another piece of information you don't know. I had been buying restaurant.com certificates for years, and just figured out how to turn in ones from places that went out of business, so I have plenty of credits, that I use when they are not 80% off, and then I only buy when they are 80% off. But for someone who doesn't have the war chest of credits, that would be a very good point to add into the consideration.

Andyandy and PantyWaster like this.
  14. PantyWaster

PantyWaster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bollix! I just trashed 2 certs where the company had gone out-of-biz. Please dish.

Andyandy likes this.