Water Salute

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by wanderlust (VFT), Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

wanderlust (VFT) Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wikipedia says: A water salute occurs for ceremonial purposes when a vehicle travels under plumes of water expelled by two or more fire fighting vehicles... Water salutes have been used to mark the retirement of a senior pilot, air traffic controller or the first or last flight of an airline to an airport, or for other notable events...

The last water salute I spotted was when D-AIMA, Lufthansas first A380, visited CGN last summer:

[​IMG]

But I've actually never been in a plane recieving a water salute. Have you? And if so: Do you know, what "ceremonial purpose" it was for? Please let us know...

Biu, kiwi and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We received it upon landing at Pisa on the inaugural DL JFK-PSA flight. I believe they try to do it on all inaugurals.
    It was pretty cool.

3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been on lots of inaugural flights and almost every one had a water cannon salute.

4. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been on a couple inaugurals and a couple captain retirement flights - sometimes
    there's a salute, sometimes not.