Watching passenger melt downs is great entertainment.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Photonerd71, Mar 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was flying from MEM to IAH today and had some great entertainment in Memphis. I never did find out the cause for his melt down but he dropped a "I spend over $10,000 a year with UA and have earned some respect from you people" (directed at the GA's). He then dropped a "YOU are to blame for me not getting home to Chicago". He also "demanded" to know their names and became furious when they would not give him their last names. All through this the two GA's remained as calm as I've ever seen, (I think this wound him up even more as they would not get into a shouting match with him). He finally went storming off after they closed the door for the flight he apparently didn't have a confirmed reservation for,

Yup, I'm easily entertained.

2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Public meltdowns most of the time do not reflect well on the one who lost control
    I would be as entertained probably.
    Nothing much to do at the airports. :D

Flyer1976 and Newscience like this.
  3. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Especially MEM, really boring airport. :(

Newscience likes this.
  4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah.. where are all those entertainers (magicians, mimes etc) when you need them most :)

Newscience, Photonerd71 and Garp74 like this.
  5. A_Lee

A_Lee Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I agree it's usually not in one's best interest to publicly blow up in these types of situations, I am curious about employees refusing to give their full names. Let's say a customer does have a legitimate gripe, and plans to file a complaint later with management, yet the employee refuses to give their full name. Are they legally entitled to refuse this? If not, I personally think such action would escalate my emotions, being it then seems like they're trying to not take responsibility for their actions. I'm not at all familiar with USA laws in matters such as this, but in my opinion any employee refusing to be identified and held responsible for their actions in doing their job should be immediately terminated if this is brought to light. Not at all trying to say anything about this particular case and how right or wrong the GA's may have been in denying this individual's ability to board the flight. I'm only saying they should be doing their jobs, taking responsibility for their decisions, and in no way try to hide their identities for any situation which may arise where a customer wants to lodge a formal complaint.

Now perhaps just knowing their first names and the gate they were working at would be enough for management to identify who the employees were. And perhaps there's some reasoning in that some enraged customer shouldn't be knowing employee names out of fear he might become a stalker or something similar. I'd be curious to know what company policies are with regard to this sort of thing in the USA.

vickers and Newscience like this.
  6. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surely identifying oneself as anything more than a representative of the
    company is not required in the US or elsewhere. Of the hackneyed "name,
    rank, and serial number," only rank is relevant.

Newscience likes this.
  7. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    They both gave him their first names but refused last names. There is no way I would give my last name either, with all the loons in the world today who knows what might happen. Pretty sure if he calms down thrn called UA and made a formal complaint they would easily be able to identify the GA's without compromising their privacy.

8. zippypinhead

zippypinhead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reason #10,278 why I could never be a gate agent or flight attendant...
    I would have no problem telling that customer what I think of him or his antics.:eek: :rolleyes:

9. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the perfect thread for @sfogate to weigh in on :)

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding from previous threads is that UA employees are required to wear their employee badges/IDs such that they are visible. I don't know off the top of my head what the badge displays; first name or full name? Employee number?

Indeed.

Newscience likes this.
  11. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    We all wear name tags. These name tags can either have just a first name initial and last name, first name and last name initial or our full name. I choose to have my full name only because I have a very common last name. Management can find us with the flight number and date of incident, so giving out one's last name is not necessary (even for FAs).
    Airport agents wear two badges, one for UA which has our first and last name, and the other is the airport badge, which also has our full name.

vickers, Flyer1976, A_Lee and 3 others like this.
  12. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would love to hear your best "passenger behaving line a toddler throwing a tantrum" story...and this seems like the perfect thread for it! :)

13. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was the gate agent for HNL-LAX flight, back in the old days of CO's 3 cabin service 747. Mr 21a came running up to me demanding to be seated in the seat he had paid for: 20a. I asked him if he had requested a bulk head, exit row or whatever since there was nothing different between 21a and 20a except one was ahead of the other. He kept yelling that he had bought and paid for seat 20a and he demanded to be re-seated into it. So I called up the gentleman, currently seated in 20a and ask he if could change seats with 21a. The man said no problem, so I said to him "thank you for making this change. I have actually changed your seat to 1a, enjoy your flight". Mr 21a, now in 20a, started to sputter and said that he would have accepted 1a....to which I replied, "no, you bought and paid for seat 20a - enjoy your flight".:p

14. ContinentalFan

ContinentalFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel for the gate agents. I think they should be allowed to slap passengers like they did in 30s movies. "Snap out of it, Mr Platinum, you're hysterical." Whack.

8MiHi, Flyer1976, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  15. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    Epic!!

Gtitan, Newscience and sfogate like this.
  16. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It takes all kinds to make the world go around. All kinds.

17. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Priceless! Thanks for sharing! ;)

sfogate likes this.
  18. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once had the dubious pleasure of sitting in coach on a UA TATL from FRA-IAD, with "toxic" FAs onboard. I tried very hard to get the name of the most "toxic" of the bunch to learn that she had removed her nametag. Try getting a name/ID of someone like that - it's a waste of time. :(

ContinentalFan likes this.
  19. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm always amused when anyone from Chicago complains about airline delays/cancellations during the winter months, or otherwise bad weather forces flights to be cancelled.

icurhere2, trobb49 and ContinentalFan like this.
  20. ContinentalFan

ContinentalFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, if United could control the weather, it would be doing something a lot more profitable than schlepping people around.

21. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    For plane changing entertainment about 10 years ago, I used to stand close to the EWR gate agents who were handling my FLL flights. While there were often good stories, the most entertaining were the "I should be upgraded because" stories. You couldn't pay me enough to be a gate agent.

Garp74 and Steve GadFly like this.
  22. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reminds me of another one of my gate agent adventures......
    Man come up to me and says that he just had dinner, the night before, with our CEO. Of course he states that he is to be upgraded because of his close friendship with the man. I look at his PNR to see if there is the authority to do the upgrade and of course there isn't. I informed the man that I could not upgrade him without this authority. The man got very angry, demanded that he be instantly placed in F due to his friendship with Mr Lozenger. I smiled and said, "are you referring to Frank Lorenzo"? The man turned on his heel and sat down in the boarding area.

23. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could honestly listen to @sfogate tell stories like this all day!

Flyer1976, sfogate and Gtitan like this.
  24. cajhnsn

cajhnsn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back when one of the airlines had a 1K desk, I saw an enraged passenger begin to throw things, yell and stomp out of the room, indicating that he would never fly this airline again (even though the lady at the desk had rebooked him about 8 times because of thunderstorms to get him to his destination). I offered to get an empty coffee container and purchase a double martini for the lady at the desk because I felt that she had earned it.

A few days ago, my wife and I were returning from Mexico CIty to Chicago. Our flight was delayed about 5 hours and the lady at the lounge spent several hours getting alternate flights for us. I made sure that the airlines was notified about the exceptional work by one of their employees.

A reminder to all - airline personnel deserve to hear about the good things they do, and not just be inundated with bad experiences. Be sure to let the airlines know when you have received outstanding treatment and let them know who was responsible for this.

vickers, redwoman, 8MiHi and 4 others like this.
  25. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a thought. What if the employee did something that was not supposed to do and the written compliments exposed the employee?