[Watching] Last viewed post expiration?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Mackieman, Mar 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is fairly standard that when a thread is read or a post is made, the forum software keeps track of what post you last read and will return you to that post in that thread later if you come back to it and addition posts have been made. This makes it easy to continue where you left off last time and read any updates.

I'm finding that, for threads I haven't visited in some time, that feature is broken. I have been unable to put a specific timeframe to it at this point, but threads I have read in the past, including some I have even posted in, take me to the first post in the thread when I click on the thread title. My expectation was to be taken to where I left off last time.

This feature works fine for threads I've interacted with recently but does not work for older threads. How is this tracked? Is it via cookie or some other session variable that persists across sessions? And was there a change made recently that might break this functionality for older threads (perhaps during the beta period)?

Thanks. :)

2. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    I'm guessing you haven't used the "Mark All Forums Read" feature? Using this would of course do what you are describing. Is anyone else seeing a problem with threads marked read/unread? I have used the mark all forums read a few times and it is working as expected for me from what I can tell.

3. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey Tim, no, I haven't used the mark all forums feature. I was thinking it was a cookie expiring or something given how it works fine for threads I've interacted with recently but not so much for threads I haven't used in some time.

4. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    I wouldn't expect that cookies would have anything to do with that, it should all be stored server side so when you log into different browsers/locations/etc you have the same read/unread info available to you. I just tried logging into milepoint from another computer and doing so verifies that this info doesn't depend on a cookie.

5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if it's not a cookie (and the fact that it works on different machines is indeed good evidence of that) then it has to be something in the database. Did you guys do any changes as part of the ongoing updates? For what it's worth, I just had it happen again. :(

6. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Hmm, no updates that I know of that should cause anything like this no and mine are still behaving as I would expect them too. I'll have to keep an eye on this and see if we get any more reports. From what you describe though it sounds like the mark all as read being triggered somehow, but as you said you aren't using that.

7. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, Mark All As Read is not being used, because all threads are not marked as read. My avatar icon is displayed below and to the right of the original poster's avatar, but clicking on the link to the thread takes me to the first post in the thread instead of where I last left off (be it my last post in the thread or later on). So some part of the software recognizes that I've viewed that thread before, but not the part that controls the href value of the link to the thread based on that evaluation.