Washington DC Marriotts

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Captain Oveur, Mar 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next weekend, will be arriving in Washington DC for the tourist stuff. A few months ago, I was able to get the weekend on points for Marriott Metro Center, but I just checked for JW availability, and voila, it's available.

So I booked both on points, deciding which one to stay at, will cancel one in a couple of days.

I see in the General Travel Discussion thread I created (and a simple look at the maps) that the JW is closer to The White House, National Mall, Smithsonian and all the other touristy stuff (again, the purpose of the trip). But I'm not against the extra five or six-block walk that is the Metro Center Marriott.

So, I guess it boils down to the hotel itself. I prefer a nicer room with a decent shot at an upgrade (I'm Plat) and a nice CL. It's not so much about the "swankiness" of the room (I'm sure JW wins there), but a bit about size overall and most importantly, a comfortable bed.

Any experiences or opinions with either the Metro or the JW?

2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quick review of the JW in DC.

Great location to the White House and National Mall and Monument. About three blocks from the Metro Blue Line.

Were it not for the hardwood floor entryway in my room, this really feels like a regular Marriott. Maybe I'm swayed because my only other JW stay was in Beijing.

3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    stayed at the Courtyard on Marriott in Arlington in Nov last year (mistake rate, $20 per night), decent property within walking distance of the subway

Kalboz likes this.
  5. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Went to DC for 8 nights early April - used public transport, we stayed at:

Dulles Airport Marriott - a great property, good lounge. Shuttle to Udvar-Hazy centre + IAD.
    Crystal City Marriott - nice hotel, ok lounge, great pool for kids, directly located in a mall with underground metro access
    RI Pentagon city - 5 mins from Pentagon City metro, newly renovated, packed breakfast, good manager reception.

None of these hotels offered Plat upgrade.

viguera likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can add the Georgetown one to that list (on 22nd St NW). I've stayed there twice this year and never got an upgrade.