Washington D.C. Airports Implement Innovative Checkpoint System

Discussion in 'BWI/DCA/IAD | Washington D.C. Area Airports' started by sobore, Jul 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/815526

SecurityPoint Media, a leading alternative advertising firm, in conjunction with JCDecaux, the world's largest out of home advertising company, is implementing its SecureTray System® at security checkpoints in Reagan National Airport and Dulles International Airport.

As a part of the existing advertising agreement with JCDecaux, SecurityPoint Media will upgrade all security checkpoints with its proprietary SecureTray System®. This system delivers new, patented trays that feature advertisements. Each SecureTray also has a unique tether ID number that's visible to travelers so they can better track their personal items when going through security. The SecureTray System® improves airport checkpoint efficiency, enhances customer service and eliminates the expense to replace and maintain the trays.

"We are excited about bringing the SecureTray program to both airports in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area," said Joseph T. Ambrefe, CEO of SecurityPoint Media. "This system will improve efficiencies in the security screening process while delivering a high-impact advertising solution and incremental revenue to MWAA."

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very innovative, great news!:)

legalalien and violist like this.
  3. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do they really imply that placing large ads at the bottoms of trays or painting numbers on the sides are innovations?

4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they did!:D

mht_flyer and violist like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Air travelers are highly educated, well connected and tech savvy professionals," said Bernard Parisot, Co-CEO with JCDecaux. "Since every traveler goes through security, these messages are highly-effective in delivering a tough to reach demographic. The service is a proven benefit for travelers and a win for MWAA."

And since I am so savvy I need a number printed on the bin to recognize my items on the other side of the X-ray machine. Wow, they really solved a big problem for me.

And wow, free advertisement on top of that? I'll be celebrating this day for years to come....

6. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    April first much?

uggboy likes this.
  7. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And how do I write down the ID number of the tray if I need to take all metal objects out of my pockets?

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Surely you can just memorize two or three UUIDs (Universally Unique Identifiers). Here's one to practice with:

550e8400-e29b-41d4-a716-446655440000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universally_unique_identifier

9. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, I don't see this innovative or especially helpful.

Frankly just a advertisement and more eye pollution.

10. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    What would make it incredibly secure is if the TSA agent won't release the bin until you read back your UUID as we all know TSA cares about the safety of our personal belongings :D

11. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Enhances customer service?
    1. How does providing me an ad to look at while I dump my shoes in a tray improve customer service?
    2. Since when have airport security checkpoints cared about customer service?
      • Or actual security, for that matter?
    I am, however, very impressed with their marketing department's skill in convincing the airport operator that this was a good idea.

12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have no issue with advertising.

I do have a problem with advertising during a government mandated procedure that I am legally required to pass through in order to fly.

That makes me a forced consumer of the advertising.

Plaster an airplane with ads, I don't care, but mix advertising with government force and you really do tick me off.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. And who gets the money this company is presumably paying for the privilege to spam us? And... which company in their right mind would want to have their ads placed into the TSA checkpoint?

14. thetravelanalyst

thetravelanalyst Silver Member

Status Points:
    ROFL

I can't believe that, with all of the things wrong with Dulles airport, this is what they've decided to focus on.

HaveMilesWillTravel and andimal like this.
  15. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Companies that don't want people to buy their stuff? Here's an investment idea.
    1. Find a company, let's call it company "A";
    2. Pay TSA for company A advertisements;
    3. Actually advertise company A on TSA security bins [I held my nose as I wrote that];
    4. Short company A;
    5. Retire.
    It really is simple ---

Cheers

On second thought, why not just short the companies that are already advertising with TSA?

16. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    other than aspirin, tylenol, ex-lax, pepto bismol, or preparation h..... there aren't too many products or companies that I would want to associate with the whole TSA experience... I'm just sayin'

legalalien likes this.
  17. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    AstroGlide.

pyelder likes this.