Was uniteds new "security" password ordeal about depriving customers of their miles?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ahappyelite, May 26, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there any reason to believe the extreme ordeal United just forced on their customer/hostages requiring them to create new passwords didn't have everything to do with wiping out the mileage balances of many of their customers?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there is reason.

Many people (including yours truly) have criticized UA for very weak security on their website.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Dublin_rfk likes this.
  3. ahappyelite

Status Points:
    If this was done because you requested it, and was a benefit to the customer, and was not revenue friendly, this would be the first pro-passenger step in the recent history of United. While it is flattering to think that United would honor the wishes of a customer, its uncontroverted recent history of total disregard and dishonesty for customers suggests that erecting an obstacle course for less frequent elites and occasional flyers will:
    Shave many miles of their balance sheet
    Lead to fewer people selecting seats and changing flights when they fly infrequently as "guests"
    It's regrettable that every adverse inference must be drawn against United but its sole and exclusive focus on revenue at all costs is well established-imagine the worst, most nefarious motivations and you will likely be spot on. It is worth noting that some of their degrades and schemes are incredibly imaginative-they are blaming just now the Canadian dollar for curbing service there, not high prices, poor service, decimation of ff programs and creating a company people are running from.
    This is a company that has stripped out almost all of your history already in case you want to dispute or challenge them.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Or you could just say "sorry, I didn't realize that it was stupid that United still allowed access to their accounts via four-digit PINs, so I am glad they took this step."

But much easier to keep the ol' ranting machine going.

5. ahappyelite

Status Points:
    No question this will block many from accessing their accounts and will wipe many miles off their balance sheet.
    What is being secured, except for your most recent flight history/balance?
    They have been deleting relevant past history/spending information that customers have asked them not to-preferring to keep customers in the dark, brushing aside customer objections.
    They are lucky to still have some who find them worthy of trust.

6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had awards booked twice from my account! I'm happy they made me reset my password.

7. ahappyelite

Status Points:
    If this is really about security, United can tell customers
    "No customer who declines to, or does not, reset his or her account shall forfeit any miles they have earned."

8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    What's your mothers dogs maiden name?

ahappyelite likes this.
  9. ahappyelite

Status Points:
    What's your mothers dogs maiden name?
    Or her mothers neighbor.....

........because United would hate to see their customers deceived by phantom anonymous hacker dude.
    It would be outrageous to snatch miles away from loyal customers.
    Likely........
    Miles taken by anonymous hacker dude 0
    Miles taken by Wall Street dba as "UAL" (through devaluations, expirations and miles you were sure you were getting - thanks to exquisitely designed opaque rules- on partners, -but didn't e.g ) HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS

10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No question you are just looking for the most ridiculous triggers for your rants.

My account. Which has my miles to use for bookings or other purchases. And my credit card for revenue booking. In other words, if you had access to my account, you could steal my miles and book revenue trips with my credit card.

Just tell us your Mileage Plus number and current pin and we'll reset the password for you.

12. ahappyelite

Status Points:
    Federal law protects you against credit card fraud-you are never out of pocket. Highly doubtful that people will be hacking your account to take your miles.
    On the other hand, because you have no protection against Wall Street dba as UAL, et al treating you as a mug, they have seized hundreds of millions of miles (a billion+) from every single MP member via devaluations, revenue based ff programs, miles they knew would never post, travel on partnerships where the rules were deliberately murky, expirations, tricky to meet credit card offers etc. (the hedge funds and pe folks obviously own Congress) They audaciously continue to hawk miles with no present intention to honor most of them . It is good they have customers who admire and socialize with them-any one who follows what they have consistently done to air travel for a quick buck since the mergers wouldn't turn your back on them for a second, What new secret devaluations are in the offing? You think there aren't?

On this, they can clear up any confusion by promising not to steal miles from those who don't wish to change their passwords-that would be , don't laugh, ethical.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  13. cheepneezy
    Original Member

cheepneezy Gold Member

Status Points:
    password

tommy777, cltgva and Steve GadFly like this.
  14. ahappyelite

Status Points:
    Password would work as long as it is spelled in three languages:
    Thus an acceptable new United password (for your protection)
    кото́ром .أتحدث الإنجليزية αυτού