Was this a good Redemption?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by edekba, May 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I just booked the following 2 week trip for my wife & I:

First // SEA - LHR
    Business // AMS - LHR - SAN

Total cost including telephone booking charge: 134,000 Avios + $2,041.

For Hotels we plan on using 2 IHG Certs + 2 Citi Certs + 4 2 Night ClubCarlson Redemptions (200,000 Points)

I think for Hotels, I believe we will make it ahead marvelously, as the CC Visa + devaluation would have made the points a lot less useful. However I still am scratching my head over the BA cost. I knew ahead from everything that I have read about, BA redemptions on BA is expensive, but still 130k+ points + $2,000 for both us is not something I'm used to or really rationalize.

Prior award trips using AA/UA cost us

• USA to SE Asia in F + HKG to LAX in J $292
    • RTW in J $420
    • USA to SE Asia in Business + Economy Return $180
    Using miles plus paying over $1,000 is just mind blowing. I can still cancel and pay the redeposit fee, use the Avois for other non BA flights ... but since I had an expiring BOGO cert + the BA devaluation i thought we should book this first.

A part of me is justifying this as buying 2 expensive economy trips to EU and getting upgraded to First/Business but since I also just paid $1,150 for two people on economy, LAX - CPH this is also hard to wrap my head around.

ps I think this was more of a rant than an actual question... but I would welcome anyone's comment/argument/ITOLDYOURSO :)

2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Um, you do realize that the BA deval was last week, so you paid post-deval rates...

edekba likes this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    oh i got in before the deval :) I booked it last Monday

4. post cognitive dissonance is an amazing thing

edekba likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would you pay almost 70,000 Avios each to upgrade a super cheap coach ticket that earns no miiles? That's essentially what you have.

edekba likes this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... what's weird is on the manage my booking page it states that I'll earn ~21k Avios & 390 Tier Points on this booking. My thoughts were you don't earn miles on award trips?

But yeah as you say 70k to upgrade a coach ticket that earns no miles is an expensive proposition. However I keep telling myself that the expiration of the BOGO + CC Deval weighs in on this for now

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look you made a decision to take a trip which may or should be a memorable experience. While I might not have redeemed an Avios award TA ( the points have their best value in domestic and intra SA awards) and also have more options being based in FL I wouldn't go through the exercise of second guessing myself.
    Flying from the west coast what are your alternates? Not much... AA premium awards are pretty hard to secure unless you are prepared to make multiple connections.
    If you were able to upgrade a paid AA ticket by using miles plus co-pay the cost would be $1400 plus 100k miles more expensive than your current outlay ( and you wouldn't even be able to upgrade to F from a coach ticket).
    There will always be somebody who will come along and say they could do it cheaper.:)

Just look at it this way you secured the best available F product outbound and possibly also inbound and unless you have status with AA the bonus of access to better lounges.
    Decision made.. enjoy your trip.

BTW you will not get miles on the BA award.

edekba, MX and Newscience like this.
  8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry, I was confused by "just booked".

MSPeconomist and edekba like this.