Warning! US Bank steals money!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by DMT, May 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. DMT

DMT Active Member

Status Points:
    On Mother's Day, I bought a $500 gift card at Kroger from US Bank. I called immediately to activate it, and the automated system told me it could not be activated. I talked to a CSR who told me that a "glitch" had occurred when I bought my gift card. She gave me instructions on how to fax in documentation to get the card activated, and would take approximately 7 days for this to occur. I faxed the information 2 days later on 5/13/14. As of today 5/28/14, the card is still not activated.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you followed up with the company?

And what was the $500 you bought?

satman40, LETTERBOY and Sammich like this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happens with new cars they have problems also....

How man times have we failed on a job, only to be called a crook.

Why not call your CC company, or Kroger's,

Happen to me once, and the CC took care of it, at OD, bought a GC,

Took almost 30 days.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. DMT

DMT Active Member

Status Points:
    Seth: post edited, it was a gift card. satman40: I guess the difference between a new car and a gift card is their relative liquidity, and what you expect out of each. I have bought new cars before that had defects, but I never considered the manufacturer or the dealership to be crooks.

satman40 likes this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't understand. Who stole money? When I buy gift cards at my supermarket, I'm given a separate receipt for the card. I assumed it would be for proof of purchase as in this situation. You're following procedure. Nothing in business is quick! I'm also confused how the purchase of a car could yield the same result.:confused:

uggboy, LETTERBOY and satman40 like this.
  6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is possible that the magnetic stripe on the card is defective. That is what caused the "glitch". Simply taking the card back to the Bank with your receipt and the bank should issue a new card. They can check to see that no funds had been taken off the card if it had not been activated.

LETTERBOY, satman40 and MX like this.
  7. DMT

DMT Active Member

Status Points:
    When I called US Bank initially, I was going to assign a PIN to the gift card in order to load it to Bluebird. One of the many CSRs I have spoken to told me that the card has $500 on it. I have never actually tried to use the card in the traditional way of buying something with it. All the CSRs I spoken to have indicated that the card has not been activated by US Bank. I do have the receipt, which I faxed to them, along with other supporting documentation. It appears that blogger Romsdeals is dealing with the same issue.

satman40 likes this.
  8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    What did you use to buy the card -- cash, check, debit card or credit card.....

I'm thinking you may have the basis of a disputed charge and if anything that could get US Bank moving.

DTWBOB

satman40 likes this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has happened to me, and every merchant has to be allowed time to make it right, or curay is the legal term.

Renter write me a bad check for rent, we write them a letter, and start to evict, judge gives them a hearing date, they lose, and still get 30 days to find a new place..so 90 day free rent plus...

Depends on how you look at it who is the bad person...

In the fine print GC are not to be redeemed for cash...

Put everything in the bag till the cards are activated...

You will be alright, sorry, but it has or will happen to all of us

Good post..

10. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have gone back to Kroger for a new card or a refund. Just my opinion on this sort of thing when I've had trouble with gift cards.

uggboy and satman40 like this.
  11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went back to OD, they were no help, managers would not do anything.,,

CC company filed a claim, they ignored it $1500.00, at the end of 30 days no responded I had won me case and the CC gave me full credit..

Do not count on any help from the store manager,,,

This is just what happened to me,

Thank God for Chase Ink,

12. DMT

DMT Active Member

Status Points:
    DTWBOB, I used my AA Citi Executive card. I'm trying to meet the $10,000 minimum spend on it.

satman40 likes this.
  13. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the best bet is to call Citi.

satman40 likes this.
  14. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citi will note the dispute, the charge will not post,

Charge another GC, The goal is the spend

15. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    US Bank didnt steal even 1 cent. Welcome to the real MS World, where every so often things happen that shouldnt. If you cant afford to float $500 for a month or 2 your playing with fire, RUN dont walk away from MSing.

That said I know the feeling I was in your shoes a couple of times. Basically there are all sorts of scams out there and both the issuing bank and vendor have to make sure that You or I arent trying to scam them.Im sure their loss rate on VRs and GCs isnt low, especially the places that sell them since if they accepted a fake or stolen CC they are out the $$. It does take some time to track everything to see where it failed. And yes unfortunately at times we have to eat it, that is if the store can prove it sold it to you and you signed for it and the CG issuer can prove it was activated and someone some whereunloaded it. If you cant afford the $500 loss (or possibly more then that) STOP MSing Im sorry to say, its not w/o risks

Wandering Aramean and LETTERBOY like this.
  16. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It feels so good when the cards get activated, and then converted into cash....

It is a rush sometimes, almost like hitting a home run...

17. DMT

DMT Active Member

Status Points:
    craz: I have MS' d thousands of dollars for about 6 months now. I can float the $500 for a while. That's not the point. The point is that US Bank knew there was a glitch with their system that would not activate my card, but still took my money.
    I have an expectation that when I pay money for a product, it will function as advertised. Further, I am one of several people who are waiting for the bank to fix this problem. They are reviewing the faxed documents in the order they have been received. My documents were faxed over two weeks ago. So how many other people have they taken money from and not fulfilled their obligation?

18. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its not only USB, that was my pt it could have been any issuer or vendor.. Yes it does take time, at least they admitt that the funds are there. Trust me you dont want to go thru what occurs when the cards were unloaded by someone else. As for disputes most folks get a temp credit but if (in your case) say USB provided proof that it was loaded and activated and someone unloaded it (yes it has happened TG not to me). Then your CC issuer will reverse the temp credit and you will be liable for the full charge. It will be handled no different then any other dispute, you present your side and the vendor presents theirs and the CC will determine the outcome, so yes its very possible that we in the end have to eat the loss

Youre very lucky if USB admited there was a problem, acknowledge the purchase and are trying to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it. I wish my cases were so clear cut to the vendor and issuer. Im just happy that it all was sorted out in the end and I got all the money I was due

LETTERBOY likes this.
  19. DMT

DMT Active Member

Status Points:
    From the Texas Penal Code:

Sec. 31.03. THEFT. (a) A person commits an offense if he unlawfully appropriates property with intent to deprive the owner of property.

(b) Appropriation of property is unlawful if:

(1) it is without the owner's effective consent;

(2) the property is stolen and the actor appropriates the property knowing it was stolen by another; or

(3) property in the custody of any law enforcement agency was explicitly represented by any law enforcement agent to the actor as being stolen and the actor appropriates the property believing it was stolen by another.

(c) For purposes of Subsection (b):

(1) evidence that the actor has previously participated in recent transactions other than, but similar to, that which the prosecution is based is admissible for the purpose of showing knowledge or intent

(emphasis mine)

20. Kelly Pole

Kelly Pole New Member

Status Points:
    Omg.. such a sad story