Warning: Fraudulent Activities on MP Account

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by lrluis, Dec 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like someone hacked into my account on Thanksgiving Day and redeemed 62,000 miles worth of gift cards. Has this happened to anyone else? If not, I would definitely recommend you check your account. I guess I have to change my AwardWallet to inform me daily of any balance changes.

Would you guys know if these miles be credited back to me?

I never received an E-Mail about these activities and it looks like they changed my primary E-Mail address to: <acct_name>@batavina.com.

NOTE: Instead of changing my existing E-Mail address, they added a new one.

The rep I spoke to instructed me to send an E-Mail to securitytips@united.com with my information, but I probably won't hear anything until Monday. This sucks.

2. cliburn
    Original Member

cliburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had my Club Carlson account hacked -- for gift cards. They credited me my points back.

daninstl likes this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    AW wouldnt help because they can't monitor UA.

daninstl and lrluis like this.
  4. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't you get a notification that someone changed your email address?

daninstl likes this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would guess that also. Sounds like they may have added an email which maybe doesn't trigger the same alert. We are starting to see this more and more. It could be someone local that hacked your account. I'd check Craigslist and see if someone in the area is selling those same gift cards. Also if you know what gift cards (what brand they are) you could alert those companies to this fraud as well but my guess is UA is doing this as they can see the transaction.

6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember, though, this won't help with Mileage Plus and some others who are blocking Award Wallet

lrluis likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    So if someone ADDS an email address to the account, there's no notification of the email addition and then notice of the transaction is sent ONLY to the new email address? This sounds like a huge security flaw.

lrluis likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember, you are talking about a company that uses four digit Pins as passwords for full account access (that you have to verbally give to company employees or contractors to authorize certain transactions).

lrluis, icurhere2, estnet and 2 others like this.
  9. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the warning.

10. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just wanted to circle back and let you guys know that the United security team quickly refunded my points. They responded in less than 24 hours and added my miles back into my account without question.

I also had a quick exchange with them about this incident and the security manager told me that they are definitely working on implementing e-mail alerts very soon.

Happy holidays to everyone and safe travels!

viguera and iolaire like this.
  11. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're right about that. My mistake. The miles noted in my AW account is the balance I had before they removed the ability to track my MP miles. :)