Warning: AA is auditing/closing accounts of those trading eVIPs, miles, vouchers, etc.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MSPeconomist, Apr 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's against the AA rules to trade eVIPs, miles/award tickets, upgrades with miles, vouchers, percentage off coupons, etc. However, many people seem to engage in minor amounts of trading/bartering through CC on FT and other places.

Recently there have been a lot of reports of AA cracking down and aggressively identifying and punishing those who trade AA stuff or even offer to do so.

As a result, trades/offers of AA stuff on CC (on TOBB) was suspended about four hours ago by the Community Director. There's an announcement from a CC moderator of this decision. There's also a thread in CC started by JonNYC pointing out the pattern of account closures that has gone on to discuss whether all trading on CC should be suspended. See also the big " account audit" thread in the Pre-Merger AA forum on FT.

If you have posts offering AA trades I would suggest that you delete them ASAP. [FYI, the FT CC mods don't seem to be closing or deleting AA threads. You can delete your own post, but if you want to change the thread title or request that the entire thread be deleted, you would need to use the "report bad post" red triangle and ask that a mod do this. I don't know whether they will do so upon request. It could violate SOP or take a lot of mod time if everyone wants to remove evidence......]

Good luck!

Seat6A, foxberg, estnet and 4 others like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    UPDATE: FT is taking the entire Coupon Connection forum off line, although the announcement sounds like they plan to re-open it later after clean up and with new rules.

Wandering Aramean and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. Smilee
    Original Member

Smilee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps you could change the title.

AA is taking action against anyone who says they might trade their points/upgrades!

Even if a trade is not done, they may come after you.

B1BomberVB, LETTERBOY and iolaire like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My post specifies "or those who offer to do so." I was trying to make the thread title fit onto one line, so not all details could be put there.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not trade here but are forums required to surrender user information to airlines?
    If no personally identifiable information was posted, I am hard pressed to believe they can trace you.
    Of course, with enough resources, given flight details (if it was posted for public view) one could presumably check all FF accounts for that flight and identify the offending culprit. Harder (near impossible except where the forum cooperated) if no personal details, including flight information were posted.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    A single transaction is hard to trace. A pattern is pretty easy to establish.

You probably won't get caught speeding the first time you drive on the highway. But if you consistently are going 15mph over you'll get busted eventually.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Supposedly FT and MP only share information if required by a court order (and in that case inform the person).

However, many folks around here aren't hard to find/trace. Some post with their real name and a number of us have participated in DOs where we've meet airline staff/officials. In some cases, we must provide passport information in advance to access facilities.

Others post data like their exact status miles earned last year, redeemable mile balances, etc. It's easy to use this information to match to just a very few FF participants. When combined with basic information like airport or state of residence, in most cases the person can be identified without ambiguity very quickly. Further search on FT or MP can find posts about someone taking flight #XX from AAA to BBB last week. being #1 of 87 on the upgrade list, taking a VDB and getting particular terms, finding some particular award ticket routing, etc. It's not rocket science.

LETTERBOY and WilliamQ like this.
  8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay. So I see a lot of folks might be sweating now and whilst it is a shame to loose an account and accumulated points, it is a lost case if they do come knocking on your door other than to get down on your knees and beg (figure of speech) if you are indeed involved in such violations.

I just wish all who traded good luck and hopefully dodge this bullet.

Might be too much to hope for but if anyone who was hit by this enforcement care to share their experience, that will be very educational.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The best advice for anyone caught trading AA stuff seems to be to cooperate and give them all the details they ask. JonNYC has advised many people in these situations and folks would be wise to listen to him.

AA tends to punish but not permanently ban contrite individuals who are caught in one improper transaction. However, I would expect less leniency for those whose miles were "earned" through MS schemes or those who recently benefited from very generous status matching terms and have not given AA much (flying) business in return.

B1BomberVB, LETTERBOY and WilliamQ like this.
  10. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    But it is okay to gift a VIP, no? There were some offers of just gifting on here and I would hate for someone to be punished for doing a good turn!

B1BomberVB and alfagirl like this.
  11. FlyerChrisK

FlyerChrisK Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can still run into trouble when the "gift" goes to someone trying to broker it (and then turns around and sells it to the person whose itinerary you actually applied it to).

12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Err that doesn't make sense. The process of gifting involves the EXP calling in and having the EXP desk attach the instrument to the recipients itinerary.
    That person cannot in turn pass it on to another individual without the original gifter's agreement/permission.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Giving them away is permitted.

pnoeric, Flyer1976 and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    The caution item in this is are you applying it to a reservation of the person you gifted it to? If you post an offer to gift it to a random stranger online there's some risk that stranger sold it and gave you the PNR of the person who paid them.

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect there's also a more general risk of having your accound associated with the account of someone who does trade/sell/buy AA stuff. That could lead to your account being audited too.

16. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got an email this morning informing me about a award ticket I booked, told me to contact if i didn't book it.

Thought it was strange as I had booked one for someone else last week but I booked one for myself this weekend and I got that email

B1BomberVB likes this.
  17. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get one of these most times when I redeem awards, though not always. Received one the other day as I had redeemed two awards last week, one for myself and another I was gifting a friend with. Email listed both of them.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Interesting. I give away miles to friends and family frequently and I've never received a note about one. Not that I object to the practice. It's smart for them to check in on customers, even if it's only deterrent and they don't act on it.

viguera likes this.
  19. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I almost always get those emails, titled "Your recent AAdvantage award redemption", saying

"We would like to confirm that the following AAdvantage® miles have been deducted from this account:
    [Award details]
    If by any chance you did not authorize these miles to be deducted, please contact us so we can assist you."

I think this is a good security feature in case of hacked account or stolen AAdvantage number. Please note that when you call to book an award, there isn't any serious identity check, you only need to give the account number and name. In principle, the credit card being used should belong to the account holder, but this is not always enforced. So, the emails are a good idea.

Side lesson: protect your AAdvantage number. I bet more than a few accounts have been compromised because of carelessly discarded BPs or itineraries. I can't believe how many I have found and keep finding left in seat pockets.

B1BomberVB and LETTERBOY like this.
  20. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh, yes. I do get those. I looked at them as confirmation e-mails. But, you're right, they do serve as a good security check.

viguera, B1BomberVB, karung99 and 2 others like this.
  21. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    So far no AA phishing by unscrupulous souls trolling the net but I notice I'm now getting phishing emails about Apple iTunes downloads.