Waon card with JAL Card worth it? More JAL miles?

Discussion in 'JAL | Mileage Bank' started by Simon, Jun 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My local supermarket is Max Valu (not a spelling mistake but the company probably stuffed it up) which you can use Waon at. I have been looking at this thinking I can be getting more JAL miles!

For the time being I have been using my JAL card here getting normal points but then i did a lit bit of research after those Waon ads (woof woof) that are in the store finally got to me.

According to this http://www.jal.co.jp/jalmile/card/waon/creditcharge.html i can auto charge my Waon card from my JAL card and get all the benefits of Waon card like 5% off on 20th and 30th of the month and it looks like i can yield 1.5 miles per 100 yen by using this rather than just the normal 100 yen for a mile. (I have premium shopping so looks like im all good)

So the confusing this is, is this all true ?

Also do i get bonus Waon miles or JAL miles for things like this http://www.jal.co.jp/jalmile/card/waon/bonus.html

Does anyone use their JAL Card with Waon like this? I looked at the JAL Aeon or Waon card but the conversion rates to JMB miles are terrible.

*edi* while I wait for everyones thoughts, I have applied for to get a Waon card to get the ball rolling.

alohastephen, Gargoyle and whkento like this.
  2. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like it. If you charge it with your JAL credit card, you get miles for that spend normally, then you get more miles when you spend with the Waon card...

Gargoyle and whkento like this.
  3. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Charge your WAON card with your JAL card and then use your WAON card to pay for your JAL card thereby getting even more points....;)

4. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you do that??? :D

That's like, an infinite feedback loop resulting in BILLIONS of miles...

5. fumitani
    Original Member

fumitani Gold Member

Status Points:
    that's how edy use to work ;)

6. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yeah that's what I thought too which made me look into this more and more.
    I think this loop hole was fixed a while back.

So any someone with a bit more Japanese take a moment to vet out that my thoughts via my woeful translating is correct?

Also how does the autocharge work? I cannot seem to find the answer. Does it work on a min balance that just charges to the JAL card when it reaches anything below that balance or does it just automatically charge JAL card when you use the Waon card so like ID or Quicpay?

*edit* found the answer to autocharge

I think that basically means you need to set this up at a WAON station in a store and you can set the autocharge to denominations of 1,000 yen with your JAL Card and Pin once you have registered online.

7. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I knew fumitani was in on that!

8. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The infinite loop.....I like that !:)

9. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I just to do shops at the supermarket in excess of the value of 29,000 yen so that limit in one transaction is lame if you have a bit family.

10. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Two big questions and answers from the FAQ specially for the packster

http://www.jal.co.jp/jalmile/card/waon/faq.html

11. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Okay applying for the jal waon card online was easy and applying to link the jal credit card was easy too then going to the waon station at the local max valu where I had to apply for the auto charge was easy if I knew how it worked and the staff said the only thing they know about waon is you have to charge to use it so they were not helpful beyond stating the obvious.

The problem was I setting the initial limit and recharge amount at 8000 and recharge at 6000 so I figured if you went to make a 10500 yen shop, it would recharge and deduct in the same transaction...nope. I did the walk of shame after cranking up the shop for my first purchase after having the pay on my jal card like normal. Reset the limits a lot higher and hope it works next time. I'll sign mums card up for this two so I can give one to the goose. Second time lucky....

Edy has an auto charge too but you can only apply on your mobile. When I get some free time I'll work that out too.

12. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    whkento likes this.
  13. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Simon

Please post details on Edy when you figure it out. I have the Waon locked down, but have been charging Edy at convenience stores so far (not worth it) :eek:

14. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Figured you`d want the card sent to you as you seem to love collecting them.
    Okay I`ll post it in another thread. On a side note, I`ve got the Edy linked to my ANA card so i just charge off my ANA Card using Felica on my computer at work. (needs a PC only) Now that it is linked it takes me all of like 30 seconds to recharge it and i get all the miles.

If i get it set up on my mobile i can get it autocharged but i can imagine it`s going to take a lot of work. I still don`t understand how you use your mobile as your Edy.... do you need a pin or does it work like normal? Never did get around to checking it out with Quicpay either.

I shall report back soon.....

15. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    How does that help? You need to live in Japan don't you?

16. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, does the "endless loop" thing work?

alohastephen and Gargoyle like this.
  17. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As in the auto recharge? Yep but you have to make sure the amount on the card is never less than what you make your biggest purchase for otherwise it will get rejected.

18. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yep confirmed it works as i mentioned in my previous post. Pretty happy with this as it took quite a bit of time to get going. Next is Edy!

19. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Edy is really annoying. I cannot (even with my gf's help who i might add is pretty useless at understanding any technology) seem to get it to use the same Edy number as on the back on my ANA card onto my mobile. It wants to create a new one and i obviously want to make them the same so i auto charge and use the ANA card one. To spite a couple of hours of trying, i have been unable to get this to work.

I have tried to call Edy (yes it is possible however if you manage to find their secret number which i had to ring JCB for and getting through to a human takes many pressing of buttons to find the right combo to get someone. They couldn't help and i gave up due to lack of Japanese ability.

These's a WAON double JAL Mile promo (you end up getting 2.5 miles to the 100 yen if you charge from JAL Card and spend on WAON) going at the moment until the end of the month. I'm foregoing my Costco runs until it finishes. Full details here

Gargoyle likes this.
  20. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well i just found out they do double miles two days a month too so anyone out there that shops or can shop at Max Valu or any other AEON branded place should get a JAL WAON card and watch the miles go up and up.

see below image

[​IMG]

Gargoyle likes this.
  21. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Regardiing the "endless loop," how exactly do you use your Waon card to pay off your JAL credit card?

22. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's actually the other way around. Your JAL card card is deducted money when you hit a threshold that you set. You cannot actually put money on your WAON to pay off your JAL card as such. Other way around but it has to be on the WAON card first to use it. I put a 10,000 limit on mine with a 10,000 recharge as sometimes i don't shop often but when i do it's over 10k.

Today i spend 13 k yen so plus double points plus a bonus 30 points for some random items i got 290 points from 13 k of spending which isn't bad considering until i got this all worked out i used to only get 130 miles for a purchase like this. The downsize is you also have to front the cash before you buy so there has to be a balance on the WAON card to begin with.

23. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification. I have been using the charging stations at Max Valu and Aeon to charge my Waon card with my JAL cc for about a year now. It makes sense to purchase things with Waon because you are basically getting double miles. Miles to charge your Waon and miles to use your Waon.

Now if I could only find a way to pay my JAL cc with Waon. :rolleyes:

24. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Why don't you just set up auto charge so you don't have to keep charging all the time?

25. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is also how the Suica-embedded credit cards work. I use my Suica JAL Card for commuting in Tokyo -- if you use JR East to go to work or school I believe you can even put your commuter pass on the card. Lots of potential mileage there. More convenience stores seem to be taking Suica nowadays, and I have even noticed it in random locations like my local mom-and-pop vegetable store.

At my company our ID cards all have Edy chips embedded, and the cafeteria, coffee shop, convenience store and drink machines all take Edy for payment. Most people have figured out that they are losing a bunch of potential ANA mileage if they use their company IDs, so almost everyone is using an ANA card of some kind. We have automatic charging terminals in our building which makes it slightly less of a hassle to get money on the card. An auto-charge option would be awesome, though.