Want to use Skymiles for ticket to Taipei, Taiwan

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Bhsu21, Aug 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Bhsu21

Bhsu21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Between my wife and I, we have 240,000 Skymiles.

Am I able to use the miles to redeem for a flight to Taipei, Taiwan on an international carrier like Korean or China Airline?

I'd rather not use Delta to fly all the way there because enjoy flying international airlines more for long flights.

I know Delta's website doesn't show any reward options on partner flights. Or do they?

Thanks

2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can use your DL miles on Korean & China Airlines but you need to call Delta to book it. You should be able to find pretty good coach availability except for during the blackout periods. Business class will be a bit tougher to find but if you look farther out when the booking window opens, you will likely have better luck.

If you're not in a gateway city for KE or CI, you'll need to try and find DL availability to get to that gateway city which might be even harder than getting the international portion so it might be helpful to find the domestic segments online first before calling.

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are two airports in Taipei. Make sure you look for flights to both TPE and TSA.

5. Bhsu21

Bhsu21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Yeah definitely flying into TPE. I'll look at that thread.

6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also until October you can also use MH

7. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you will have better chances if you make your gateway city on the West Coast, like in LAX or something. Definitely share your experience please! I've got a ton of SkyMiles to burn and I've been wanting to burn them on trip back to TPE. Cash tickets for DL are always sky-high going through NRT.

You can also look at CI routes departing from JFK.