Want to go to Sydney in October with a stop in Hong Kong, Bali or Phuket.

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by suenam, Nov 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be departing from Boston and have both AA and UA miles and about 135,000 Delta miles as well. What airline would be best to fly. I want to get two business class tickets for the long haul flights.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP!

I don't know too much about Delta's program, but between the other 2, I would go for United because they allow a free stopover. I'm pretty sure American doesn't unless it is in a "north american gateway" city or one of their domestic hubs.

If you do decide on UA/ Star Alliance, I would highly recommend learning about the ANA tool. Hope that helps! :)

3. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your help. Can I use the ANA tool even if I don't have ANA miles? I tried this, but was unsuccessful. Is there a trick, or can I access this through United or Continental?

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    With 135k DL miles you might be lucky and get one biz class r/t ticket, but you'll need twice that to get two. You'll need to focus on the Star Alliance/One World options instead.

5. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you use AA you'll end up on a Quantas bird out of LAX

If you use UA/CO you can ride their birds from either SFO or LAX all the way.

This according to both airlines iPhone apps.

6. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's a Quantas bird? :)

I think you can easily find a CX flight out of LAX or SFO using AA miles. That's where I usually fly through.

Titans26 likes this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many miles do you have on UA and AA?

US-Australia in front is one of the tougher redemptions out there. Going via Asia helps availability, but I don't think any carrier allows routing through Asia on a single award. You'd need to book us-Asia as a trip, then Asia-Oz as a nested round trip to do that.

With the stopover, it will take about 200k per pax for j tickets (give or take a little). Note that none of hkg, Bali or Phuket are actually on the way to Australia from the US and two out of the three of them are ~4,000 miles away from Sydney.

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    A rare species....seldom seen...

9. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's the Upgraded section on a Qantas plane that takes yoU down Under.

Titans26 likes this.
  10. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, suenam!

The easiest way to access the ANA tool is if you're a Starwood Platinum, as you can transfer 1 mile to ANA.

Otherwise, you must go through a 2 step process to search other Star Alliance awards.

First, search for any dummy award using ANA miles. After that search, you will be able to search on partner airlines.

iirc, if using Delta miles for OZ try Virgin Blue for a decent redemption option from the US, tho I have no idea about stopovers or connections.

Good luck!

11. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have 270,000 miles with AA and about 230,000 with UA. I have been to Sydney 7 times using UA miles going direct to Sydney with no stops. I know that Bali, Phuket, etc are not on the way, but I thought that if I could route through HK to Phuket or Bali that I could get a cheap ticket from there to Sydney. Any ideas?

12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm....neither AA or UA allow routings through Asia to get to Oz (except if you use two award tickets).

I know co allowed one way awards...I think UA does too now. AA offers one way pricing. You might book three one-way awards...us-Phuket/Bali, Phuket/bali-Oz, then Oz-USA. You'll need to do two of the one ways in one alliance, and the other in the other alliance, due to your miles balances...ie: star to Asia, ow from Asia to Oz, then star from Oz back to the us.

I'd look at star to Asia, and back to the states....and ow for the Asia-Oz flights...I think overall you'll find the best availability this way.

Have a great trip. Let us know what you get set.

13. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a bad idea. But, your options aren't great airlines -- they're cheap! Jetstar (cheap Qantas airline) flies direct Bali to Sydney, although I'd prefer Virgin Australia myself. Tiger Airlines will fly you from Phuket through Singapore, but lots of people won't fly Tiger. Air Asia will fly you from Bali to Melbourne, Australia, if you can get a booking!

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In some sense, the natural routings would be connections through HKG or even NRT on one world using CX or JAL, plus of course QF versus SIN or perhaps NRT on Star alliance using SQ or ANA.

DL claims to now offer one way award tickets, but they cost as many miles as RTs do.

15. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd recommend either looking at 3 one-way awards or if you want to make a few stops, maybe the oneworld award chart from AA (see chart at http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/oneworld_awards.jsp). To figure out the distances, you could use gcmap.

FYI, you can use ANA without any miles in there (see #2 or #3 @ http://awardwallet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=863).

If I'm not mistaken, these are the redemption rates for J/F on AA and UA (wouldn't recommend DL for this):

US-HKG
    AA: 55k, 67.5k
    UA: 60k, 70k

HKG-SYD
    AA: 35k, 45k
    UA: 45k, 60k

SYD-US
    AA: 62.5k, 72.5k
    UA: 67.5k, 80k