Walt Disney World- everything you would like to know

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by safetymom, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. safetymom
    Original Member

safetymom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Walt Disney World is a great place to visit. It does require some advance planning before you hit the parks. Please share some of your hints, tips, money saving ideas, favorite attractions, etc.

2. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are Great Golf Courses in the area to fit any budget.

Cirque du Soleil - La Nouba is a great show for any age. We enjoyed this more than any of the parks.

3. Mary2e
    Original Member

Mary2e Silver Member

Status Points:
    Waaayyy too many to list in a thread and actually have them mean something :)

I generally refer people to:

www.allears.net for information re: what's available to do
    www.mousesavers.com for money saving tips
    www.undercovertourist.com for discounts on tickets
    and finally
    www.disboards.com for a BBS that has every little detail imaginable.

After narrowing down the options, it will be easier to give more specific information.

OP - aren't you a mod at www.disboards.com? Or do I have you confused with someone else?

Gaucho, lin821 and WanderLuster like this.
  4. WanderLuster
    Original Member

WanderLuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Timely thread. I'm heading down to Disney World this weekend! I haven't been since I was a young child.

Our group is all adults. I have two questions for MP community at large:

1) Would you particularly recommend any of the parks for adults (we like rides and shows)?
    2) What is your favorite restaurant on property?

Any other tips you might have on Disney would be greatly appreciated.

5. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ^Agree

Went for a week in early December 2010 (the week after Thanksgiving)... used Mousesavers and Undercovertourist sites with good success.

We also found a great last minute deal on a DVC (Disney Vacation Club) on www.RedWeek.Com at the Saratoga Springs resort (which wasn't the best for my young kids, but the price was hard to beat).

WanderLuster likes this.
  6. Mary2e
    Original Member

Mary2e Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going down this weekend as well. The best park for adults is probably Epcot. It's large and varied enough to keep your interest for the entire day. Plus, they now sell liquor there :)

But this is a really tough question for me to answer. I've been there more than 50 times, and only go on holiday weekends because it doesn't matter to me if I get on a ride or not - I'll get it next time.

I can only suggest you get to whichever park you plan on visiting early and get as many fastpasses as you can. In Epcot, the most popular rides are Soarin' and Test Track. I would run for a fast pass for one of them and get on line for the other. By the time you get out of the ride you waited for, your fastpass time may be up and you'll be able to ride the next ride for which you have the fastpass.

My favorite restaurant on property is Citrico's in the Grand Floridian hotel near the Magic Kingdom. Next favorite is California Grill in the Contemporary resort. If you're lucky and are able to score a reservation at California Grill that has you in the restaurant around 8pm, you'll get treated to the music and fireworks coming from the Magic Kingdom. But good luck getting any reservation. I've had mine in place for a few weeks and since it was a last minute trip, was grateful to be able to get those.

Keep in mind that the Magic Kingdom is open until midnight on Sat & Sunday, with extended hours (3am) on Sunday night for resort guests only. If you're staying on property, you might want to consider allocating one of your days to that park with some resort relaxation time in the afternoon, and going back late - like around 11pm.

Have a good time!

Casey Friday, lin821 and WanderLuster like this.
  7. WanderLuster
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Mary2e -- Thanks so much for the advice. We are on property so I'm thinking a super late night at MK is in the cards for Sunday. The friends I'm going with visit Disney often, so I'm mostly along for the ride.

We may have a not so secret plan to spend one day/afternoon/evening drinking (and eating) our way around the world!

Mary2e likes this.
  8. Mary2e
    Original Member

Mary2e Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent Plan. Keep in mind that unless you want to pay an ungodly amount for a park hopper ticket for 2 days, you will have to confine yourself to 1 park per day. So you may want to do Epcot on Sat and the MK on Sunday. This way, if you're hung over from the drinking your way around the world, you have extra time on Sunday to take a nice, long nap :)

TravelGuy1965 and WanderLuster like this.
  9. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not in love with with any of the dining in epcot--but definitely am in love with the booze options, lol-- would suggest playing around there but then walk over to the boardwalk resorts nearby for dinner. In the Swan, I suggest Blue Zoo, or Shulas. Flying fish is pretty good too ( on the Boardwalk).

If you want to go farther afield, head over to the Animal Kingdom Lodge for a more unique meal at Jiko, or Sanaa.

You could also take the monorail to California Grill at the Contemporary, Citricos or Narcoosees at the Grand Flordian.....are you looking for high end dining or mid-range?

As for fast pass, make sure you understand how it works, and work it to your advantage. Never use one fast pass until you have already picked up the next one, the time when you can do that will be printed on it. Maybe hard to do on vacay, but try to get to the parks early in the day, enjoy the rides and then start drinking. ;)

Animal Kingdom park is a good one for adults, lots of adult rides (Dinosaur is FUN!!!) as well as Expedition Everest, and they have the best shows. Well, DHS has the Indiana Jones show, and the Lights Motor Action stunt car show which is great for adults too!

Glad you are going with some veterans, that helps a lot. Take some time to do non-park stuff like golf, swimming, La Nouba, rent a boat for playing on the lakes, etc etc.

Have fun, we go a couple times a year and always have a great time. It's so much more than a place for rides. ;)

10. WanderLuster
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to Chamonix and Mary2e for the advice!

We have four day park hopper tickets (thanks Disney for the military discount!). And we're staying at the Swan.

I'm still in I want to see/do/experience everything mode, but my friends keep reeling me in. Animal Kingdom didn't exist last time I was there, so I'm particularly interested in seeing what that park has to offer.

I especially appreciate the advice re: restaurants. I and one or two of the others are into fine dining. The rest are more casual fans, so I think the plan is to split up a few of the nights so that we can experience some of the nicer restaurants.

11. safetymom
    Original Member

safetymom Silver Member

Status Points:
    [quote="
    OP - aren't you a mod at www.disboards.com? Or do I have you confused with someone else?[/quote]

I used to be a mod and I still participate on the DIS.

12. safetymom
    Original Member

safetymom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would make a list of the things you want to see at WDW. You can't possibly see and do it all. Pick several things at each park you would like to do. Take advantage of the Extra magic hours for resort guests to ride more attractions.

At rope drop everyone runs to Soarin. I have found going about 45 mins later I have a very short wait.

Chamonix likes this.
  13. Mary2e
    Original Member

Mary2e Silver Member

Status Points:
    That park shouldn't take all day - more like half day.

The best restaurant Disney has to offer is Victoria & Albert's, but they require a coat and tie [​IMG] After that, you have the signature restaurants, almost all of which are in the resort hotels. There may even be one or two in the Swan/Dolphin.

BUT, I was looking yesterday, and reservations at the signature restaurants are hard to come by this weekend. You may have to be flexible with the cuisine. I think I saw Jiko (African at the Animal Kingdom Lodge) available on Sunday. Most of the regular restaurants are already sold out.

Go to www.disneyworld.com and click on the "What to Eat" box on the top and then select "make reservations" and you'll see what you can get. You can filter by type of experience, and you can select "signature dining"

I'm had a tough time getting places I want 3 weeks ago - this week it's nearly impossible.

WanderLuster likes this.
  14. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oops, I misspoke upthread...Blue Zoo and Shulas are both at the Dolphin, not the Swan....though they're basically the same resort, right next to each other.

I've found with signature dining at WDW I can nearly always get a table for fine dining somewhere at WDW if I'm willing to eat at an unfashionably early time. Also, try calling each morning for cancellations. Especially if you can use an WDW concierge, we are almost always accommodated, somewhere on property for fine dining. Some resorts hold a table or two back for concierge guests of the resort that houses the restaurant. Obviously, it's not always the case that you can get a table, but I've found that the signatures are the last to truly fill up. We eat at a signature every night at WDW and i have never planned more than a couple weeks out at most. :p

WanderLuster likes this.
  15. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely do Test Track first, Soarin' second. At Animal Kingdom, do Dinosaur first. Most folks do Safari first, or Everest. I do agree that you can do everything at Animal Kingdom in a pretty short time if you don't see the shows. The Lion King show is good, Finding Nemo show is way better than I expected too. If you like birds, see the Flights of Wonder bird show, it's pretty cool! Animal Kingdom can be a good park to arrive later in the day as most people are done with it and leave the park by mid-afternoon.

WanderLuster likes this.
  16. safetymom
    Original Member

safetymom Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can check same day dining by going to www.disneyworld.com/dining We have been able to pick up some last minute hard to get reservations this way.

Chamonix and WanderLuster like this.
  17. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    WanderLuster likes this.
  18. Mary2e
    Original Member

Mary2e Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah... I thought you looked familiar. What happened? They finally drive you nuts with all their inconsistencies? :)

I pretty much don't participate... I take what I need and go about my merry way. Too bad they're still the place to go for information.

Chamonix likes this.
  19. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree most of the full service restaurants at least I've tried were fair at best. That said EPCOT is certainly my favorite park in WDW.

So what's new for EPCOT this year, heading out there in November and haven't been there in 4 years.

WanderLuster likes this.
  20. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    re: Test Track...

Do they still have the single-rider line? The couple of times I went it was great to be able to walk right past the long line and almost walk on the ride.

For those unfamiliar, the car holds three and most people are in groups of two, so there is a line to fill the odd seat. Good news is you can almost walk on (or reasonably so.) Bad news is that you don't get to ride with the person you are with.

WanderLuster likes this.
  21. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only restaurants worth eating in at WDW are the "signatures". The rest are bulk-loaders, dare I say....institutional food quality, more or less. Don't waste your time. Of course, this is a general assessment, there are exceptions (on both sides) and of course, YMMV.

When "captive" at WDW, go for a signature if you can.

WanderLuster likes this.
  22. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    As of my last visit in December, there was still a single rider line.

Mary2e, mht_flyer and WanderLuster like this.
  23. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    As for new things at epcot...that I'm aware of.....

New restaurant in Mexico, which I haven't tried....but there's a tequila bar inside the pavilion that I have tried, yum, lol.
    Captain EO (Michael Jackson) movie in the old Honey I Shrunk the Kids theater...which I also didn't try. I suppose if you like MJ it's a must-see, lol.
    There's a new restaurant in Italy too (again, I didn't try it)
    Finding Nemo ride is actually pretty cool...has some interesting effects even adults may enjoy
    Turtle Talk with Crush ditto^^
    They've re-done the boat ride in Mexico since you were there...for some reason we've always loved this under-appreciated attraction
    The drummers in Japan are pretty cool to take a break and sit with a drink and watch
    Can't recall when it opened, but did you do Mission Space?
    Spaceship Earth (the ride in the big ball) has been re-done and has a lot of fun stuff to do at the end of the ride (don't try to ride this until later in the day, the line is long early but non-existent later)

WanderLuster likes this.
  24. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I was there the year mission space opened very cool.

And I didn't know spaceship earth was refurbed (though I remember laughing when the ride showed pictures of the old clunker ATT videophone) so for sure it makes sense they did that.

Thanks for the tips!

Chamonix likes this.
  25. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The boat ride in Mexico is a LOT more fun AFTER spending some time at the Tequila bar inside the Mexico Pavillion...LOTS more fun.

WanderLuster, Chamonix and mht_flyer like this.