Wall Street Andaz - NYC

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by IMGone, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed here a few times, mostly in an XL King Room.

I like the hotel style, particularly the the wood floors in the rooms instead of wall to wall carpet that is usually dusty and musty. I like the firm beds, a little low but they are comfortable with great pillows. The big showers, at least that I've seen with the XL King rooms are great. Toiletries are nice and the happy hours with free wine and wifi provides a nice break. The room size for the XL and layout is very nice, two televisions lots of rooms to move around, a separate sitting area from the bed area. The free non-alcoholic mini bar and snacks are nice, but I do wish the snacks were healthier since I eat those chips I'd never let myself near otherwise! The bar and restaurant both have growing reputations. They have great technology and know who you are, when you were there last, what other reservations you might have, etc - if they use it right it could make for a service tool.

The front desk staff are VERY nice, but not that great at times. They seem to mean well, but don't always think proactively -- recommendations for area dining may require use of a google search, rather than an already printed list of suggestions. They didn't care/notice/something that one morning after bad weather the snow wasn't even cleared to the curb, so you had to go over a big mound (which you'd sink in) or walk to the corner in order to reach the road (with luggage). I'm not thrilled that there is no help to call for a taxi, they seem to be indoors only but that is only an issue if I have a lot of luggage or the weather is poor.

On the good side, the turn down housekeepers are excellent and friendly as are the lobby attendants who serve wine.

Kalboz, NorFlyer and jean9nine like this.
  2. Firefly
    Original Member

Firefly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's a pic of the Penthouse suite

[​IMG]

Kalboz, gleff, theskyflyer and 2 others like this.
  3. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am staying at ANdaz Wall Street tomorrow (Today actually) I used a Diamond Upgrade so I am waiting to see what room they give me. Most likely XL from what I have heard.

4. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    mundsurfer - are you there all week or just for the night? If longer and interested in meeting for a drink one night, let me know - I get in on Sunday

Kalboz likes this.
  5. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Firefly - nice picture. If you put a wall behind the yellow couch, I think that would likely be close to the XL King sitting area - with nicer (more substantial) side chairs

Kalboz likes this.
  6. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry just one night or I would meet up.

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've stayed in the XL King room, and a friend stayed in the Presidential/Penthouse pictured above. I did have a few problems in the room and with foodservice in the restaurant. But, overall, this hotel represents a good value for Manhattan. The Presidential has a decent sound system, sub-zero fridge and nice kitchen area. The amenities and the overall bathroom experience is above average for NYC.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    They appear to have some great weekend rates there for NYC.

-David

Kalboz likes this.
  9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes, I found a non pre paid 170USD weekend rate in February. That's a good deal

Kalboz and FriendlySkies like this.
  10. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I paid 150 this weekend on a Triple A rate and used a diamond upgrade, got the Penthouse and was given a $50 credit for Sunday brunch at Wall & Water.

IDGflygirl and IMGone like this.
  11. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I forgot to mention their fitness center downstairs. They have a decent number of treadmills, stairclimbers, etc with a recumbent bike as well. They have free weights and a few machines (decent ones, its all still new looking). They do have two balls but they need to be inflated (multiple weeks, they are always flat). I like that they have the weight balls as well.

As Gary mentioned above, they offer free bottled water, towels and cool towels. They have the standard alcohol wipes to use to wipe down the equipment before/after use, as well.

* my own side note is that I have gotten shin splints repeatedly on the treadmill here for some reason. It is just a harder surface to walk on, I guess.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    This place has the best staff for turndown service - really! They were always friendly and helpful, but I've never had someone remember a special request from Day 1 to 2 and continue to offer it, even when you weren't there to make the request. In my case it was for an extra towel (for in-room exercising). There have been other interactions with the night housekeeping folks, and they are some of the best CS folks in this place.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, the stealth hotel. I arrived late at night last June on a Triple A rate carrying gift cards from Costco. The taxi driver went to the official address which I think is the entrance to condos, but fortunately I knew the hotel entrance was around the corner. Signage is subtle. The driver did not want me to get out until we were sure it was the hotel. I paid him, got out anyway, and he insisted on waiting until I went inside and verified all was well, so I did then popped out and waved him goodnight.

Really liked the hotel, although the location is a little quiet on the weekend. The staff was excellent, and I especially appreciated the glass of wine to tide me through the simple check in.

14. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    lili - good point, I missed that too. I'm not very good at these reports.

The hotel entrance in the middle of Water Street around the corner from Wall/Water (to the right). The first entrance you pass is actually for a condominium complex (I mistakenly went inside there the first time). Right next door is a second revolving door and that one is for the Andaz. Look for the carpet that read Andaz to know for sure. The two entrances at a glance have very little to distinguish themselves as one or the other, and to make it more difficult the two lobbies are separated by clear glass, so even if you looked inside, you could be mistaken about what is in the condo lobby as you'd be "seeing" the hotel lobby through the glass.

Speaking of glass, I would note that if you are sharing with a friend who isn't that good a friend, the shower door is clear glass.

Enjoy!

Kalboz likes this.
  15. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Forgot there was a magic marker on printer paper taped to the outside that said "Goldberg bridal shower is HERE!" The hotel address, 75 Wall Street, is above the condo lobby.

16. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:

FriendlySkies likes this.
  17. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boy, those emoticons are ugly "eek"

18. bjcleaver

bjcleaver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be staying there first week of March for 3 weeknights. Not a Diamond or anything, so standard room for me. But from what I hear they are all pretty good.

Kalboz likes this.
  19. doodley
    Original Member

doodley Active Member

Status Points:
    Love this hotel. Have stayed here about 10 times, and have gotten at least an XL King every single time as a Diamond upgrade from a regular King. Wall & Water is a fantastic restaurant (the duck prosciutto/salami and pain au chocolat are not to be missed), and the staff clearly enjoy their jobs.

A bit out of the way for tourist attractions, but I go out of my way for superb service and the best bang for my buck in NYC.

Kalboz likes this.
  20. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love this hotel as well. Attached are a few more pix of the presidential suite, including the kitchen with Nespresso Machine, full fridge/freezer & dishwasher:

Attached Files:

Kalboz and DeltaExpert like this.
  21. leeivan86
    Original Member

leeivan86 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really like the staff at the Andaz Wall Street and have had many wonderful stays over here. I find that I get treated very well here compared to the other NYC Hyatts. My minor gripes about the place here are the quirky cooling/heating system and a little out of the way location.

22. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Finally go to see the pictures! :)

Kalboz likes this.
  23. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are quite a few subways nearby to it is not too bad to get down there.

24. Coathanger
    Original Member

Coathanger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here in July 2010 and enjoyed my first andaz experience.

Loved the Wall Street location since it was a short walk to the ferry for Liberty Island and the different feel to uptown.

The best part must be the complimentary (and exceptional) full breakfast for Diamond Gold Passport members which can be taken at the Wall & Water restaurant or room service. Here's a shot of my a la carte breakfast at Wall & Water:

[​IMG]

That applewood bacon is definitely the best I've had at a hotel.

Kalboz, swisshera and mundosurfer like this.
  25. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the brunch and opted for the $15 extra charge for unlimited bloody mary's or mimosas, they just discounted 50 dollars of my room bill for the restaurant charge.

IDGflygirl likes this.