"Walked" without being Walked.

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by sithlord, Aug 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    A friend got a marriott hotel paid for the by the airline but the room was not available despite having the hotel voucher and being marriott elite. Yet they did not walk her to a different hotel with the 200 dollars plus the 2 free nights. Should she call corporate?

uggboy likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sounds like the airline gave her the voucher but failed to make a reservation or gave away more vouchers than the number of rooms they had requested the hotel to set aside for their distressed passengers. If so, she wasn't walked by the hotel but she should complain to the airline that did it.

uggboy likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does the "no walk" guarantee include walk-up reservations? I thought there was an advance requirement on them, though I may be mis-remembering that.

ETA:
    I'm guessing that if the airline made the reservation then the member's CC and program number were not in the reservation when it was booked.

4. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are the requirements as stated on Marriott.com:
    Usually, reservations created by the airline do not have the person's Marriott Rewards number attached to them. If that is the case here, the ultimate reservation guarantee doesn't apply. Just because the member is elite when they show up doesn't meet the requirements insofar as I can tell; their elite number must be attached to the reservation prior to arrival.

snap likes this.
  5. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    She ended up using the voucher the following morning around 330 am for the next day and rescdeuled her flights with no charge. The gm gave her the amount of points required for the hotel which was pretty good in itself. Major issue was this was a corporate hotel yet had no contingency plans to deal with guests to other properties and blaming the airlines for the mistake.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm confused now. When was she walked and where did she go? Did she pay for the first hotel night because the voucher was for the Marriott only? Wasn't there a date on the voucher? Did she end up spending two days stuck, unable to get a flight out even though she returned to the airport during the middle of the first night, preseumably for a very early flight before being rebooked? Or was she trying for a redeye which she wasn't able to clear and then did she spend several hours in the middle of the night trying to get confirmed on something for later? Normally a 3:30 am checkin would be billed as the previous night's stay, with a normal checkout of around noon. Did she split the night between two hotels with a 3 am change? Why?

7. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was a hotel voucher paid for the airline and 330 am is what time they did their night audit changing over for the next day. After they refused to check her in at 1am she stuck around for the next day as she was on east coast time anyhow and arranged her flight schedules. Early check in such as this is well known among people in the know and works so long as they are rooms available and the auditor is game. If you dont believe it checkin at your usual 3pm like your told and depart at 11am with a hope of 1pm and I'll take my 6pm and later.

flagstaff likes this.
  8. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your friend wasn't entitled to the walk compensation. You can dice it anyway you like, but your friend didn't meet the Ultimate Guarantee criteria. She's lucky she even got points, as those are not normally given on vouchers. Incidental spend yes, but night & points for room no. She wasn't paying for the room; the airline was.

BTW - why are there 2 threads on the exact same topic started by you?

Cheers.

9. photonfilm

photonfilm Active Member

Status Points:

if you are walked can you claim stay credit? I was walked once to a different chain and want to know if they do offer stay credit that will count toward status.

10. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you can, but check w/ Marriott Rewards CS. You'd need them to manually add it anyway. This, of course, is if you're meeting the criteria of the Ultimate Guarantee.

Cheers.