Walk in at Airside hotels in Changi Airport ?

Discussion in 'SIN | Singapore Changi Airport' started by anileze, Jul 26, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it advisable to book in advance, or is a walk in possible at two of the airside hotels in Changi Airport ?

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend that booking in advance might be the way to IMHO.

Landside I would recommend the Crowne Plaza. Depends on timing, rates and purpose.

When solely transiting Changi, book one of the airside hotels.

Cheers & Safe Travels. :)

Dublin_rfk and anileze like this.
  3. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Harilela hotels sell out early at peak times and
    travel periods (I've no idea about the Plaza Premium
    Aerotel in T1, which is new), but there are decent
    dedicated quiet areas in all terminals where one
    can get some rest at no additional cost.

anileze likes this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the time I arrive in SIN, I'd have been on the air (give or take few hours) 38 hours in span of 3days, that is 72 hours. And, another four hours of flight ahead. I was thinking to cabbing it into the city, and then back... but decided to give their transit a try.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  5. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having tried airside, the Crown Plaza, and city side. It would depend on how tired, how much time, and point capture needs. PS: I've also crashed in the lounge.:eek:

anileze likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, was quite reasonable booking in advance IIRC. We had a ~7 hour layover at SIN before our ongoing flight to DPS. For me & Mrs Willie, having flown in economy from the USA, getting to a lay flat bed w/o having to go through the albeit easy SIN immigration was key. Got 5 1/2 hours of much needed horizontal rest/sleep.

anileze likes this.
  7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of the lounges have great massage chairs too that can substitute for a proper bed if trying to avoid cost.

anileze likes this.
  8. ml123

ml123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would second this - sometimes these hotels sell out as early as a few weeks in advance, attesting not only to their popularity but also the fact that all it takes to book is an email request (no credit card guarantees needed), so not everyone who booked may even show up. For the same reason, if they are fully booked in advance, you may still have decent luck if you walk up to the reception or call them from an airport phone when you land.

I have actually used these airside hotels (they book in 6-hour slots, with extensions possible) several times and they are nothing fancy, but very comfy, clean and efficient, and relatively inexpensive for a decent rest & pre-flight shower, on long journeys such as OP's. The lounge or quiet area are nice options to have for resting, but if available, I'd recommend a short stay at a transit hotel over them.

It also beats the landside or city options in terms of how much rest you can get during a layover if that is your sole purpose. I've generally made it to the transit hotel and back to the gate (including security) with less than an hour's total overhead which would be hard to beat if you have to come back in from outside.

One more thing to keep in mind is that if you do go for the "napping in a quiet area" option, these hotels (or a neighboring spa facility, can't remember) also offer only a shower rental if you needed it and your lounge didn't have it.

anileze likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The airside (Ambassador Transit) hotels at SIN tend to book up early, but people often have success by showing up and waiting for a no show. My impression is that frequently there's a room available if you're willing to wait in the hotel lobby, perhaps for about an hour.

If you try to make the reservation in advance, you're sometimes directed to the transit hotel in another terminal if the one you request is full for the time you need. In such cases, you might want to consider the pros and cons of trying to get into the more convenient one without a reservation versus making the reservation for a room in a different terminal. You could even follow the strategy of booking the available hotel for a slightly later arrival time, with the plan to try first to get into the one in your terminal. At worst, if you lose the deposit, these places aren't very expensive, probably well under $100 for a normal length stay.

anileze likes this.
  10. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are two hotels; one with more than one terminal. One is just plain not available for the time I wanted, the other I booked. In case I can reschedule my connecting flight, I'd cancel and go landside and stay in one of my prefered chains. I'll update next week :)