Walgreen Is Finally Ready to Launch a Loyalty Card

Discussion in 'Other Loyalty Programs' started by sobore, Aug 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2012/08/24/business/24reuters-walgreen-loyalty.html?_r=1

Walgreen Co will join the loyalty card game next month as it tries to win back millions of pharmacy patrons, a daunting task as rivals CVS Caremark Corp and Rite Aid Corp already have well-established programs.

For years Walgreen, the largest U.S. drugstore chain, said it was just fine without a loyalty card that rewards holders for spending more. Now, after testing formats for a year and a half, and after losing shoppers who had to fill Express Scripts prescriptions elsewhere for most of 2012, the chain is embarking on one of the biggest marketing pushes in its 111-year history.

Heading the introduction of the Balance Rewards card is Graham Atkinson, who led United Airlines' Mileage Plus program before he joined Walgreen as chief customer experience officer in January 2011.
    Walgreen's new program blends aspects of airlines' frequent flyer plans and loyalty cards from drugstore rivals and Duane Reade, which the company acquired in 2010.

"This program is all about collecting points, saving up for a treat," said Atkinson. "If we get a more engaged customer, and ultimately a more loyal customer, they will give us a larger share of their shopping wallet."

Read More: http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2012/08/24/business/24reuters-walgreen-loyalty.html?_r=1

2. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I shop Walgreens instead of CVS simply because they give weekly specials to everyone instead of just card holders, I refuse to get a CVS card, and probably won't get a walgreen's card, if they make users have a card to get specials for the week, I just won't shop with either.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    A program has been expected at least since Graham Atkinson landed at Walgreens after being pushed out of UA with the CO merger. Wonder if points redemption availability will entail Starnet blocking if each quarter there's more demand than budgeted?

icurhere2, marcwint55 and 2soonold like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here. Don't play that game with Safeway either. On those few occasions where I end up having to buy something from Safeway and it has a discount I give them my FiL's phone number. The idea of messing with their data is somewhat amusing.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been a loyal CVS customer for a long time, but if the possibility to get miles is introduced at Walgreen, I will certainly have to give it some consideration.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My local pharmacy is a Walgreens. But I am not sure that the loyalty program would award airline miles... The article seems to imply the points turn into $ vouchers.

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If that is the case, I would have to stick with CVS.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is there any significant difference between the three major chains?

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me the convenience of driving two blocks to CVS if the benefit, in addition to the comfort level of familiarity after so many years as a customer..

10. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully this crosses over to Duane Reade, which is ending their program Sept 1, prob in advance of the Walgreen program. I have a stockpile of points from them so maybe I need to spend them now before it gets enhanced!:eek: I find Walgreen and Duane Reade prices are usually higher than CVS and RiteAid, but that occasionally have good sales.

DuaneReade gave bonus points for redemptions at 1500 (250 point bonus), 2500 pts (500 point bonus), 5000 pts (1250 point bonus).

IDGflygirl likes this.
  11. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, I can walk to the Walgreen's -- so will be interested to see how their program compares to CVS's!

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I can and do walk to Walgreens.

I don't spend nearly enough time and money in drug stores to be able to tell which one is overall cheaper.

marcwint55 and IDGflygirl like this.
  13. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here (TX) and prior in FL, it was totally the opposite, CVS was a very good % higher than Walgreens on virtually everything.

Walgreen's is 24/7 in most places and in south florida was one of the only places I had to shop for goods at 3-5am :rolleyes: even the CVS was closed, in most cases

icurhere2 and marcwint55 like this.