Waldorf Hilton London

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by gleff, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Last year I decided to burn some Hilton points for London, and as a Diamond I had heard that the executive lounge at the Waldorf was perfectly reasonable. For such a short stay – only two nights – in London, I was also pretty location-sensitive and the Waldorf fit the bill.

• [​IMG]
    I wasn’t impressed with the place relative to other hotels I’ve stayed in, but it fit the bill for a major European city where I could use points and save cash.

It’s the archetypical ‘once-nice’ property that lives on the past glory of its reputation. It’s clearly a four rather than five-star hotel. An aging physical plant, and it’s way too much a Hilton to be truly nice. Just as the stylized “Hilton Breakfast” brochures in the room felt out of place on Cebu in the Philippines, they felt out of place for an ostensibly luxury European hotel. The generic sunrise graphic just seems to smash any sense of place, making it seem as though I could be at any generic Hilton Garden Inn in the middle of flyover country in the U.S.

Had I been in the US I would have felt like I was in a tiny room, but I clearly received an upgrade as a Diamond in this older European property. There was an entryway before reaching the bedroom, the bedroom wasn’t tiny, and it had two closets as well:

• [​IMG]
    There was a hallway between the bedroom and the bathroom that housed a desk. The bathroom was small but functional.

• [​IMG]
    .. though it wasn’t especially well designed. The glass shield didn’t do a good job keeping water off the floor in the bathroom. It also made the shower/tub combo feel especially narrow. A curved shower rod and curtain would go a long way in this tub to let one stretch out. Further the showerhead was immobile which meant I had to be directly underneath it, between the wall and the glass, and couldn’t stretch out behind the end of the glass. That said, given the shower design this was an important feature rather than flaw — otherwise even more water would get onto the floor. And the most annoying feature? The bubbling up of the bottom of the tub, I felt like I sas surfing in the shower as the floor popped beneath my feet. Then there was the loud noise from the pipes when flushing the toilet…

I never visited the lounge in the evening so can’t speak to their canapé offerings. But the space is nice enough, and breakfast fairly abundant with both hot and cold offerings.

• [​IMG]

• [​IMG]
    The one thing the lounge especially lacked from my perspective was bottles of non-carbonated water that I might take with me. The hotel did provide one big bottle in the room each day, but my biggest need besides breakfast and coffee out of a lounge is access to water. But fortunately there was a market across the street where I could pick up as many bottles as I wished perfectly inexpensively.

2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    We stayed there last month. While I would agree with what you say, we (Gold) were upgraded to a suite, which had a small sitting room in addition to the bedroom. The lounge was OK, staff fairly inattentive, food and drink offerings pretty limited. The best thing about this property is its location, in the theater district. We saw two shows that were a two minute walk from the hotel, and the entire theater district was within a 10 minute walk. We would go back, but mostly for the location.

3. SteveCMI

SteveCMI Active Member

Status Points:
    We stayed three nights at this property last June and had a very pleasant stay. I had requested a quite room on the courtyard side. I use a four night award so that the room would be ready on our arrival at 10:00 am, and it was. When we checked in they said they were booked to capacity and the only suite they had that they could move us to was on the street side. We elected to keep our comfortable, but very quiet, courtyard room. The staff compensated by giving us a split of wine and a fruit plate each night with turndown. The lounge was small but well maintained. Location is everything. Easy walk to the tube then could return to the hotel via bus that stopped at the front door. Will put this on our return to list.