Waldorf Astoria Chicago (formerly The Elysian) – Just OK, not Great

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by NYBanker, Jul 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Overview: A luxury city hotel that is just OK, not great
    Strengths: Service, location
    Drawbacks: Suite felt boxy, connectivity issues in rooms, average dining, challenges with the doorman

I’ve been reading and hearing about this hotel since when it first opened as the Elysian in 2010. Many early guests raved about the hotel and it was awarded a number of accolades by the travel press. Opening in 2010 wasn’t the most fortuitous timing. The property was in Virtuoso, then it dropped out as it clearly struggled with occupancy. Less than two years after opening, ownership flagged the property as a Waldorf within the Hilton family, giving it access to much better distribution. It eventually re-joined Virtuso.

Earlier this month, I finally had the chance to stay at the property. Based on my stay, I’d rank this property as OK, but certainly not great. I wouldn’t outright object to returning, but there were enough issues that I cannot recommend this property at present.

Full review here: http://sitinfirst.com/2015/07/waldorf-astoria-chicago-formerly-the-elysian-just-ok-not-great/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

uggboy, tondoleo and anileze like this.
  2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel the colors are a bit depressing. The current thinking in the design world is that, newer designs should not evoke faux sense of antiquity.

uggboy, NYBanker and tondoleo like this.
  3. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should have stayed at the Langham.

uggboy and NYBanker like this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have got that on the list to try!

uggboy likes this.