Waiving $150 Award Redeposit Fee

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by mauld, Dec 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last June I was able to book an off peak Biz Class tix EWR-CLT-CDG for 60,000 miles for travel in early Feb 2012. I now have a new job and will not be able to take this trip. I am a 'nothing' on US, and read that there is a $150 redeposit fee. I also saw that if there were changes made by the airline to my reservation, the fee might be waived ? Last week I received a notice from US changing very slightly my flight times (by 10-15 minutes for each flight). Now normally I wouldn't have had a problem with these changes, but could I use those changes to cancel without penalty ? Or do I need a more legitimate excuse ??

alohastephen likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could be wrong, but I think that the only way they will waive the fee is if no seats are available on comparable flights that arrive at your destination around the same time -- say they change the EWR outbound flight and no other ones will allow you to make the connection at CLT.

I'm not sure that you'll have such luck though considering the route.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect a 10-15 minute change (as long as the connection remains valid) is probably not a sufficient excuse to cancel the ticket without paying the redeposit fee. Or could you argue with a straight face that those 10 minutes make it impossible for you to take the trip? ;)

(but if you have to bite the bullet anyway and don't need the miles earlier, I'd wait until shortly before the departure day and hope that there is another more substantial schedule change)

sobore and Sweet Willie like this.
  4. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was a thread on FT where someone was in an extremely similar situation. They changed his flights by about 15 minutes. He ended up saying he was worried about having under a certain amount of time for his layover. He got his flight fully refunded, so I bet you have a good chance as well.

Perhaps say you have a lot of luggage and are worried about the connection in CLT? Play like you are really worried about anything under a certain time for transfers.

I'm sure if you are polite and act like you don't know too much, you can convince them to redeposit without the fee.

sobore and alohastephen like this.
  5. bna_based

bna_based Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about US Air because I haven't had to change / cancel award flights but I did with Continental. Similar situation where there was a 10 minute change and I was able to change the entire ticket without additional fees.

Kill 'em with kindness (especially with it being Christmas) and you maybe able to save your miles and your money!

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That assumes the connection has gotten shorter. The OP doesn't say that that is the case (or vice versa). In any case, it doesn't hurt to ask.

viguera likes this.
  7. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't take no for a answer. Come up with a good story and get a supervisor on the phone if necessary.

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. My award to HNL with a connection in PHX flight kept getting changed by a few minutes but then they pulled out the stats and told me the flight has a 98% EARLY arrival record. WTF? :)

No dice for me on waiving the fee, so I had to pay to change flights. :)

9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    As with all things US, hang up/call back until you get what you want.

10. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the responses, I'll wait until mid Jan before calling. The time changes do shorten the connection times, but again, not significantly. When these things happen with CO (where I'm Plat), CO will ask on the e mail if you accept the changes, if you don't you can legitimately cancel the flight with generally a full refund. I did not get that option with US.

11. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always get a warning and it says I should call if I can't accept the changes. I always assumed that meant I could ask for a refund.

And if you are going to ask for a refund you should ask immediately and not wait. The longer you wait to more it looks like you accept the changes.

12. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point, I'll give them a call today, and then again if they say 'no'... I'll still have time to keep trying ;)