Waive fee for sharing miles with household/family?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by NYCAdventurer, Oct 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    With all the AAdvantage program changes taking place I think it would be nice if we saw a one time fee waiver for transferring miles to our spouse's/ household family members. This would be a serious benefit to those desperately looking for a way to achieve lifetime status before the program changes take effect 11/30. Milepoint members lets push to make this happen!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why should married people or those from big families have an advantage in achieving lifetime status? This would drive some customers away from AA.

3. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    If you have a SPG account you may transfer miles to family members then to AA, so what's the difference? Many airlines and hotel programs already allow family members to share miles/points at no cost.

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but if sharing miles between partners allows one of them to get lifetime status (does it? that seemed to be the implication of your post), that dilutes the benefits for single travelers who earn it by themselves. MSPeconomist's point remains valid.

rwoman, viguera and joesmoe like this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Valid points aside... this would be a nice thing....

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Considering how liberal AA's LT status mileage earning rules were for years, I'm not sure I see a fee waiver coming. Like others have said, a nice idea, but one that doesn't seem to have a lot of ground to stand on.

rwoman likes this.
  7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I'd love to see this as well, I just don't think it makes much business sense for them. They know the program is changing so if you really want to get your LT level up, they'll make you pay the fee. I'd also love to see a hotel transfer bonus, but I'm not sure that's likely either.

rwoman likes this.
  8. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    I know my request isn't likely and perhaps to those that don't have the option to share it might seem unfair, but for myself and many others we would gladly welcome and appreciate this option. Didn't cost me anything more than a few moments of my time to put it out there, I won't lose any sleep either way. I appreciate everyone's responses even if not favorable to my request.

Scottrick likes this.
  9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to be clear, I do think there is merit to waiving the fee for transferring redeemable miles within a household. It would make it a lot easier to book rewards in cases where each spouse is or other family member is contributing toward a single reservation. But as far as earning status for mile transfers, I still think that is unlikely to ever happen.

NYCAdventurer likes this.
  10. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Slightly OT, but I wonder what the economics of offering family mileage "pools" is looking like now-a-days. Seems this type of arrangement could be a win-win for families/AA in this economy. Families with limited resources could consolidate enough miles for an award redemption, while simultaneously adding add'l revenue from their accompanying ticket purchases/ancillary revenue. The only downside would be slightly less award availability for elites...but I'd rather see AA get some cashflow and stay solvent. Of course, BIS miles would still apply for status (heaven forbid AA dilutes the ranks!).

Kaanapali and NYCAdventurer like this.